Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by landre1020: Caribbean and Trans Atlantic

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

Caribbean and Trans Atlantic

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Brooklyn, Red Hook)

Last year I was in PG. This time I did QG. I did my own unpacking. The only two things the butler did for me was to bring me my canapé munchies in the early evening and a bottle of Drambouie. Not his fault, I just didn't need anything else and preferred to unpack and pack myself - in part because I decided to go on to Southampton - some of my luggage I sent home when we docked in NY. My room was lovely. I did have to move for the second part, this second room needed some repairs as the coffee table was very wobbly and the waste bin in the bath wouldn't stay closed - previous tenants must have been a bit rough.

For the first three days the food was not very good. I actually considered going to King's Court.I think it was after the first port the food greatly improved. Don't know why except everyone was very unhappy. Never did like the lobster - it was way over cooked. Streaky bacon was cooked beyond recognition - but, I understand this is the way it is prepared in More England. Shameful. Anyway, once we left the first port, food was otherwise very good. And, the service improved. No complaints here.

I thought both trips were lovely. At least this year, I didn't get the dreaded (with good reason) norovirus. I heard some people got sick this trip so made sure my hands were clean at all times and never touched fresh fruit or anything I had to touch with my hands unless I had first used sanitizer. The number of people who did get sick must have been very low.

I didn't think anything looked tired. But, then it has been several years of wear and tear since the last refurbishment. A lot less Christmas wrapped doors... I liked last year's Christmas gift better. What does one do with just one cup?

Thought I would have a great time dancing, but it never occurred to me dancing styles would be different! So, it took several days to work that out - what can I dance with who... There was one couple who thought they owned the dance floor but after too much time I guess someone told them to tone it down.

I do have to say that I thought the games Jessica played in the ballroom, though apparently enjoyed by many, were a bit silly. They interrupted dance time! I guess it was called a Sequence Dqnce, but that was fun to watch the officers of the ship have some fun! I thought the dance hosts did as good a job as can be expected with a number of solo female travelers wanting to dance. They have a hard time keeping very one happy and there were a couple of women who seemed to like to complain. They did their best.

The orchestra was very good, as well as Michael Chartier. Vibz was good but a of couple songs went on forever - with jumping up and down kind of dancing. Not my cup of tea.

I never went to the disco - every time I looked in it was empty. Last year I spent most nights in there with my table mates. Speaking of table mates, both years I have thoroughly enjoyed them!

Spent many nights in Royal Court Theater. I do have to agree with other posters that the RC singers were not that impressive - not sure if it was the sound system or just them. At least this year, my ear drums were not blasted out of my head every night.

As for the TA part of my trip, it was a bit rocky a couple of nights - other nights less so. I was told the trip from Southampton to NY was very rocky! A number of people suffered seasickness. When I was trying to decide if I was going to do the TA, I asked if it would be better another time of year - one can never tell was the answer. So, I stayed on board and went to the UK. Very glad I did. I have wanted to do a TA since I was a teenager. I will have to do it again!

Overall? Great trip! Were there bumps in the road? Of course, but I didn't let any of it interfere with my wanting to enjoy my trip! Cunard? My cruise line of choice!! I did see other ships, but none that harkened me to give them a try. Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>