Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by TheTraveller72: Great Fun - tips for BYOB and Pop plans

TheTraveller72
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Great Fun - tips for BYOB and Pop plans

Sail Date: February 2014

Travelled with wife and 2 kids on Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean Feb 2014

BYOB - Brought 2 bottles of wine on board with my carry on. No problem, when through x-ray, they didn't even open my bag. I'd read that 2 bottles per cabin is not allowed to be brought on board and seems to be the case. As far as I read ONLY WINE AND CHAMPAGNE bottles are allowed.

POP Plans - The refillable cups can be used at any coke machine AND any bar.

FOOD - I'm a bit of a foodie. I'd say the dining room food is 3.5 stars. Not spectacular but not disappointing either. I had intended on going to the specialty restaurants with my wife but we never bothered in the end. If my wife and I were travelling alone I would have used the specialty restaurants once or twice.

WINE PLAN - We didn't get it this time. smallest package is 5 bottles. For only 2 adults we only needed 3 bottles for the whole week and (5 sittings in the dining room). Wine is $30-$50+/per bottle. More Only a few are < $35 so expect to pay $40avg. If you're off to a show etc after dinner you're going to get drinks there.

ENTERTAINMENT - Water show, Chicago, Glow Party, Comedy Shows, Blue Planet show are all great and worth seeing.

DISEMBARKMENT - Super fast - All the X-ray machines are on the docks now so there's no screening on the ship itself, you just scan you card and walk through.

CROWDS - There were 5700 passengers on the ship but it never felt crowded. There were people everywhere but everyone was never in one place. Never had a problem finding a lounge chair, again busy but not overcrowded. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

(5.5)

Cozumel - We went to chankanaab national park. It's 10 minutes from the ship, costs $30 return by cab (all safe right from the port) and costs $20 to get it. We've gone there twice, it's great for snorkelling with kids. Check out their web site. Not over crowded, lots to see and do. It is the BEST snorkelling stop on the cruise but as you see in the pics the shore is rocky (hence coral reefs for LOTS of fish!) but there's tons of sandy beach area with thatch umbrellas etc.
they've added zip lines and an alligator enclosure. We didn't go to the dolphin area but swimming with the dolphins etc is all available.
There are cruise line excursions that go there but I would recommend saving a whack of cash and do it yourself. It's government run and very well operated, clean and not run down at all. also very safe.

Read 3089 Cozumel Reviews

Snorkeling

(5)

JAMAICA - Falmouth is a dive outside the private dock area. If you wa We hired a private cab/bus for 8 for $20/pp to drive us to Montego Bay and back. We went to Doctor's Cave beach club for the day. 11-4pm. Clean, safe, reasonable cost. $6 entry, chair, or umbrella. Snorkel gear rental is there. Showers, bar and restaurant. check out their web site. It's a private beach so only a couple of locals selling stuff, I assume they are paid by the beach club. It's 35 minute drive there from the port. If you hire your own cab/bus, make sure they are going to pick you up INSIDE the private RC dock parking lot. All the drivers congregate at the east side of the parking lot waiting for their passengers. Don't forget you have to tip everyone in Jamaica.

Do the ZIP line. It's safe and something you can't do in too many places (google - top 10 longest zip lines).
Bring a couple bucks, the local employees set up your beach chair for you ($1pp) is what I paid. not sure if that was enough but it do the job.

You can't snorkel on the ocean side beach.Personally I would save snorkelling for Montego Bay and Cozumel.

Read 356 Labadee Reviews