Marco Polo 5

“Fantastic cruise with a very sad end”
Cruise review of Cruise & Maritime Voyages Marco Polo

hcallow
Member Since 2014

Overall Member Rating

This was our first cruise and I researched it well during the 12 months before we set sail.

Everything was MUCH better than the 3 star cruise we were expecting.

The food was excellent in all restaurants and plentyful for a normal healthy person......many overweight passengers felt the portions in main restaurant were a bit small but as there were 6 courses believe me it was plenty, the soups were superb.

Our cabin steward and our waiters were lovely and couldn't do enough for us.

The entrainment was varied and excellent.

The ports of call were interesting and several out of this world......Devils island...the Azores....Carribean...

Amazon......wonderful. The excursions were good but if you arrange yourself on arrival rather cheaper.

Someone brought the Norvo Virus aboard at Manus up the Amazon......this was controlled by the medical staff despite many passengers making no effort to conform to the very sensible restrictions More imposed for everyone's benefit. The staff worked very hard cleaning and sanitizing. Long hours.

Now the sad part ...we encountered a very sever storm entering the English Channel....I was in the restaurant when a huge wave stove in some windows....a elderly man died of his in injuries and many were injured....I was 2 tables away and observed everything......the waiters on duty were instantly involved in first aid and helping people out of harms way.....some of them were also injured.....they were fantastic.

Around the ship others were hurt and again the crew and medical staff were magnificent .

The Captain in my humble opinion handled his ship with great skill particularly when he had to turn the ship for Helicopter evacuation of two casualties who needed urgent hospitalising.

A great cruise with a sad ending....

The only real downside were the percentage of passengers who were rude, selfish and seemed determined from the off to find fault with everything and everybody...I really don't know why they bother to come along. A good number were a embarrassment. Less

Overall Ratings

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review:

11601
Lovely cabin ...clean...good bathroom...loads of storage.

Published 02/22/14

Read Cruise Critic's Marco Polo Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?