Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by faders: Two thumbs up for ncl

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Western Caribbean Cruises

Two thumbs up for ncl

Sail Date: February 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans

First things first, this was our first ncl cruise and the first time in new orleans. Also, there were 4 in our group all over 50 years of age. We have been loyal to royal in the past so we were a bit nervous of what to expect from ncl.

We arrived NOLA around 6 pm and stayed at the intercontinental, it is under renovation but all was well. As a matter of fact our room wasnt ready so they gave us a suite. Not much time to see or do anything as it was a long day flying down from Canada.

We showed up at embarkation around 11:00 am and found it one of the easiest procedure yet, however the taxi drop off location was a bit of a mess.

Our rooms were ready around 1:00 so we had a couple of hours to explore and have some lunch. The garden buffet was well stocked and there was lots of tables available. Once in our cabin ( balcony) we did notice some areas that needed some attention so we pointed them out to our cabin attendant and they were immediately taken care of. More

Our ports of call were Cosumel, Belize, Roatan and Costa Maya. We went cave tubing in Belize ( I highly recommend it) and we explored the Myan Ruins in Costa Maya ( it was awesome as well). Cosumel is Cosumel as this was our third time there and we found Roatan a bit sketchy outside the port area.

During the cruise we went to a specialty restaurant for dinner 5 times. All were great with Cagneys being our favorite ( we went there twice). Also we had the Blue Lagoon twice, once I brought it back to our cabin and once we sat down at a table. Their wings are fantastic!!!

All in all we enjoyed this cruise and even took advantage to their future booking special and placed 250.00 down on a future cruise and enjoyed a 100 obc on this cruise. We have 4 yrs to decide on a cruise but it wont take us that long to decide I am sure.

Disembarkation was just a easy as embarkation. We stayed one night at the Hilton Riverside (very nice) which is an easy walk from the pier. I timed it and it took us less than 8 minutes. We walked outside and found out after that you can do it inside which would have been easier I am sure.

Our day in New Orleans was great. The weather was nice and my wife and I grabbed a map and got a daypass on the trolley system ( 3 dollars for the day ). We explored the sights and sounds and truly enjoyed New Orleans so much so that we would like to return and spend more time there.

All I can say is NCL we will be back and New Orleans hope to see you soon. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 9540

Comparing them to RCCL they appear to be smaller but I am sure they are not. The climate control was great. We missed the ability to view our account on the tv as it is not available. The shower was a good size. Didnt find the bed as comfortable as rccl as when they pushed the two beds together to make one there was a hump in the middle where they joined together. Our room attendant, harri I think was great.