Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Perrorist

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by Perrorist
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: Perrorist
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: South Pacific
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Some good, some not so good

The GOOD:

Ship. Very well appointed, clean and fresh.

Cabin. We had a suite on Deck 8. It was spacious and had everything we needed. Ideal for the two of us.

Food. Generally good, but see below.

Service: Ditto. The Shore Excursions desk staff were knowledgeable and obliging.

Captain: Spent time with passengers and was always upbeat and helpful.

The NOT SO GOOD:

Noise. This was the noisiest cruise I've been on. It was ear-splitting at times, a constant nuisance, and difficult to get relief from. Even in the cabin we had the drumming of feet on the steel deck above us as people played table tennis. The captain's announcements, given in a holiday camp "are we all having fun?" style, drowned out any attempt at conversation.

Internet. Unbelievably expensive. Bear in mind that it's satellite, slow, and subject to frequent dropouts, yet the casual rate was US$0.85 per minute! The cheapest package was a prepaid 37 minutes for US$24.95, and the most expensive, 1599 minutes for US$399.95.

Dining Experience. We ate at the Windjammer, Edelweiss, Chops Grill, Izumi, Giovanni's Table. The Windjammer (buffet) didn't provide enough in the way of greens and I never saw carrots on offer. Luckily, I like broccoli. Edelweiss was mostly good, though one evening a number of us felt the food was fair at best. The three specialty restaurants were very good, with Izumi (Asian) the standout.

If you're a couple and eat at the Edelweiss, you'll likely find yourself being directed to a large table to sit with others. We resisted this, but found the tables for two were so close together that we might as well have sat at the larger table. Resistance, while not futile, might make you invisible to the waiters, though. We persisted and prevailed.

Service. One incident summed up my feeling that staff would have been much happier without passengers. I generally don't drink water with meals, so either I say I don't want any or I turn the glass upside down. The waiters in Chops Grill insisted that I have a glass of water whether I wanted it or not, citing one of a number of unstated rules that pervaded this cruise. No other restaurant took this approach.

Security. One of my bags didn't arrive at the cabin when we boarded. I asked about it without success and some hours elapsed before I discovered it had been detained by Security. When I arrived on Deck 1, I found scores of people milling around in confusion. It seemed that passengers with power boards (for charging multiple appliances) were having them confiscated until the end of the cruise. (I had one in the bag that had been delivered to our cabin!) No-one knew where my other bag had got to, so I went in search and found it on a trolley. It was marked 'Replica pistols'. This was nonsense. What the bag contained was a fold-up umbrella and a torch. I grabbed it and hotfooted it back to my cabin instead of joining the queue for it to be examined.

Publication Date: 02/18/14