Ryndam Cruise Review by jhg20852: Fantastic cruise on a classic ship

jhg20852
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Compare Prices on Ryndam Southern Caribbean Cruises

Fantastic cruise on a classic ship

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my 58th cruise and it was one of the best. The cruise was to celebrate my Mom's 80th birthday, I am 56. I have been on just about every cruise line, and every size ship, from the mini's to the mega's and everything in between. I find now that I tend to enjoy the smaller ships (under 100K tons) the most, mainly because they hold fewer people. I live just outside of Washington DC and am always fighting crowds of people, while on vacation I like to avoid the crowds. This year the Ryndam will celebrate her 20th birthday. She looks great for her age, the crew are constantly cleaning, polishing, waxing and doing everything possible to keep the old gal looking her best. I understand the ship will be going into dry dock this year for some refreshing. The only areas that looked a bit worn were inside the elevators and the furniture in the crows nest, both look a little tired.

This ship is not for everyone, this is classic cruising in an elegant style. There are no rock More climbing walls, no ice skating rinks, no pool tables, or flow riders. But there are no huge crowds or long lines at anytime on this ship. Service in all locations is flawless, they do anything and everything to make you happy with a smile on their face.

We did not do any shore excursions, the ship is our destination, in fact we never got off the ship the entire two weeks. We enjoy seeing the shows, reading, relaxing, swimming, going to the gym, dining in the dining room as well as the Lido buffet.

The first two Broadway shows were average, the last two were wonderful. The other shows included a few comedians, a juggler team, and a pianist. I enjoyed them all, especially the improv comedian, a show NOT to be missed. He includes the audience in the show - A++.

Food and service in both the Lido and MDR (Main DIning Room) were both top notch. Extra points for two servers in the Lido - Happy Harry, and Frixy.

Rick the cruise director is perfect for the ship, he is seen all over the ship, is dressed sharply, and is easy to understand.

We had room service for breakfast three times, and all three times the food was delivered on time, hot, and correct. Another A++

Our ocean view cabin on the lower prom deck was fresh, clean, spacious, and had plenty of storage. Our cabin stewards also did a excellent job, filling our few extra requests immediately. More A++'s

Most every day a movie is shown in the Wajang Theater. They provide bags of popcorn as you enter, nice touch. I just wish a little info would be provided about the movie of the day in the daily planner, such as the stars and a brief description.

Burgers, pizza, and taco fixings are offered at a station out on the pool deck near the gym. I only tried the pizza and it was fine. One problem is there is no water or iced tea available at this station. You must go into the gym and get a paper cup of water, or the opposite end of the ship into the Lido for beverages.

Going into the Lido wearing your bikini or thong does not fit the image of this ship. A drink station should be provided in the area.

Overall this was absolutely one of the best cruises I have ever done. This was my 2nd time on the Ryndam, and very much hope it will not be my last.

Next cruise - RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 05/26/14 - Northern Europe. Less

Read more Ryndam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ryndam Review >>

Cabin review: Ryndam 415

Only one other area needs updating- in the last update the TV's in the cabins have been upgraded to flat screens - nice, but there is no interactive TV. It would be great to use your TV to order room service, check you ship board account, and view the dining room menu for the evening. Our cabin stewards also did a excellent job, filling our few extra requests immediately.