Azura Cruise Review by tackleupboss

Member Name: tackleupboss
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Barbados
Cabin Number: D225
See More About: Azura Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | P&O Cruises Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Azura Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Azura Deck Plans
Not the most memorable experience

Don’t seem to have much luck with cruising. Our latest was on PO Azura to the Caribbean and I admit to expecting better. Previously we had travelled with Saga to Iceland which was a great disappointment although there was no fault with the food or the staff. Our family had enjoyed Azura and that prompted us to try the bigger boat but once again we ended up disappointed. No problem with our Cabin, or should I say State room, which was a superior one on D deck. It was spacious with a good sized balcony and plenty of space for clothes etc. A bit unfortunate that the Queen bed was in fact 2 big single pushed together with the annoying join in the middle.

We ate in the Oriental restaurant at the 2nd sitting which meant we invariable missed the better shows at their earlier showing , finding the 11.30 timing far too late for us. We did catch the end of shows we wanted to see but always had to stand because all seats were taken. Frustrating. Now realise that the freedom dining was a better choice but we did at least have a regular table to use for our evening meal. The other answer would have been to book the specialist restaurants at a time to suit us but that would have thrown up the price and we were already paying over the odds.

Did 2 visits to the Sindhu Indian which was very good and I must say that it was far better than the Oriental offerings.

The bars were OK with Brodies and the Glass house enjoyable but I am afraid that up stairs on the decks it was a bit downhill. I came to the conclusion that it was too big for us, just too many people occupying a small space. The bar seating was awful with wicker type tables where a pint looked decidedly unstable.

When the sun shone, especially on our 4 sea days it seemed that almost the entire boat load was only interested in taking the sun. Why go on a cruise. It would be much cheaper to lay on a beach with loads of room and a sea or a full sized pool to swim in.

Don’t know why I did it but I purchased WiFi thinking it would be a good way to keep in touch. The only trouble was it didn’t always work, was very slow and that used up your time so before you knew it you were left with so little time to do anything. Never again.

We did use the Gym on a couple of occasions but in the main we did not use many of the other facilities but that was our choice. We did 2 tours organised by PO and one of our own on Antigua which was half the price PO wanted.

I compliment Po for their organisation and luggage arrangements although on reflection my choice of Premier seating on the flight did not offer as good value as I have had on other flights. Food on the outward journey was good but coming back it was poor and the drinks service coming back was certainly poor value.

No I am afraid this trip will not go down as memorable. My next trip to the Caribbean will be too Mexico in a 5 star all inclusive hotel with great facilities and food to die for and a great beach where we can walk for miles and not feel hemmed in. It will also be lot cheaper!!!

Publication Date: 02/17/14