Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by styles27: Brilliance exceeded our expectations!

styles27
Member Since 2009

Value for Money Not Rated

Compare Prices on Brilliance of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Brilliance exceeded our expectations!

Sail Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

Sailed Feb 6th with my husband for a quick 4 day cruise weekend and had a great time.

We arrived at the pier about 10:30 and parked in the garage across from the pier ($15 day)

By 11:00 we were on board and in the Windjammer enjoying a wonderful lunch! The Windjammer on the Brilliance was one of the best run buffet dining venues of any ship we've sailed. (this was our 6th RCCL ship, and we've sailed 5 other cruise lines)

We enjoyed everything we ate at the Windjammer...the selection was vast, the food was the proper temperature and very well prepared, and everything was kept very neat and clean. It's been many years since we've been able to say that about the buffets on other ships.

We pack our swimsuits in our carry ons so after lunch we headed to the Solarium, changed and enjoyed a nice leisurely afternoon lounging by the pool. Our only disappointment was they were performing maintenance on this pool so it was empty until the next morning. But More nonetheless we love the Solarium as it is much more peaceful than the main pool and it's under a nice glass roof. The new addition of the Park Cafe was very nice and a great place to grab a cup of soup, sandwich, or salad.

By 1p.m. it was announced that our rooms were ready...by 2 our luggage was there. Babu our attendant was wonderful. He anticipated our every need and kept our room perfect. He had an uncanny ability to know when we left in the morning or for dinner because our room was always made up when we returned.

Our stateroom was 3108 outside. It was fine except at night there was a weird banging noise that sounded mechanical. It wasn't constant but sounded like it was something hitting the side of the ship. Other than that we didn't hear any noise from the other cabins or hallway.

We dined in the MDR 3 of the 4 nights and in Chops one night. Every meal was really delicious. I can't tell you how happy it made us to be able to enjoy our meals on this cruise because over the years we have noticed a decline in food quality on every line we've sailed. Not so on this cruise. We enjoy dining and it was a pleasure dining on the Brilliance.

The ship is in very good condition. All of the public rooms looked great and the stateroom was clean and fresh looking.

The entertainment was better than some we've sailed...the production shows were excellent. The comedian on our ship was just ok...didn't bother going to the late night adult show he had and from speaking to others that did go it sounds like we didn't miss much.

The musical performers in the different venues were good...I'm not sure why Royal has decided to make the main centrum the place to listen to music and dance when there are larger places that would allow more people to be able to sit and enjoy. That was really the only thing I didn't like. It always felt crowded...it's just not big enough for that type of thing.

Overall we had a wonderful time and most of the crew went out of their way to make our cruise enjoyable. I have never given any crew member on any ship a negative review however the girl bartender in the Solarium was downright rude each time I dealt with her (4 times).

The ice machine in the solarium was "out of order" for the entire cruise so we were told to get ice at the bar. Well, she wasn't happy about that and made it known to us that it was "not her job" to provide ice for our cold drinks. She would do her best to ignore me standing at the bar until one day a lady that showed up after me told her to wait on me before taken her order because she saw me waiting for a long time. The bartender told her I just wanted ice and could wait. She was horribly miserable and was either at the end of her multi month contract or at the beginning of a new contract and was just plain unhappy. She had long dark hair...won't mention her name but I'm sure if you've had a run in with her you'll know who I'm talking about.

I won't let one person shadow the fact that the rest of the crew was wonderful and we had a great time!

So if you're thinking about booking a cruise on Brilliance....do it! Less

Read more Brilliance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Brilliance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Brilliance of the Seas 3108

Great location (midship) only mild complaint was there was a very loud banging mechanical noise at night that sounded like something metal hitting the ship. It wasn't enough to keep us awake and wasn't constant. The cabin was quiet other than that.