Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by h3ylinds: Good for a getaway

Good for a getaway

Sail Date: February 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Charleston

To start off, I think it's important to note that going on this cruise in the middle of a polar vortex at home is very important considering I would have rather been anywhere but stuck in ice.

Anyways, I had booked this as a surprise for my Fiance's birthday so we had been waiting for a few months to go.

Early 20's couple and not huge drinkers or gamblers.

Chose this cruise largely being it was much closer to drive than any other.

We arrived in Charleston ahead of the huge rush so getting on the boat was a breeze and it was really relaxing being able to do it all from our car up until the very last point. I was a little disappointed by how small the ship was compared to others i'd sailed on but that didn't matter much to us.

The servers from the bar were annoying because within five minutes of being on the Lido deck, at least six had tried to push 9 dollar drinks on us.

Pros

Cabin-We had booked a porthole cabin because i More was afraid to not have any windows, and considering it was the same price as interior cabins we were very happy with it and spent a ton of time napping because the bed was so comfy.

Dinner-We ate late in the Jubilee dining room and though I found the food all over the ship to be a bit mediocre, we were sat with fabulous tablemates and our server, Carmello was absolutely wonderful. I would recommend all the the soups because they were all very tasty and remember you can order as much as you want of anything. My favorite dessert was the cappuccino cake.

Nassau-The highlight of our trip was easily the snorkeling excursion we took in Nassau. We didn't book it through carnival and it was much nicer and less expensive than the one offered through the cruiseline. (we know this because as soon as we were off the boat we were rushed into the group with cruise line and ended up on the wrong boat at first) anyways, even in February, the water was perfect and we both ended up sunburned.

Cons-

Activities-In my opinion, there wasn't much to do except drink or gamble, it was too cold on both of our sea days to do anything in the pools so we often found ourselves wandering around.

Buffet-the buffet food was way below the caliber I expected, regardless of how much food you're ALLOWED to have, it doesn't really matter if the food sucks and it cold.

Smokey-The whole ship smelled like smoke because smoking was allowed in the casino which is pretty central in the ship and it isn't a huge ship so it traveled freely around.

Noise-Our cabin was noisy, luckily we are both heavy sleepers so we weren't really bothered by it.

Freeport-We were lucky and wandered around and found some small cliffs against the water to explore, but otherwise there is NOTHING TO DO unless you pay for it,

All in all it was good vacation and we very much enjoyed the R&R we both needed, it was a good value for the money we spent. If you want a getaway from your everyday stress then I would easily recommend this ship and this cruise. That being said, Unless I am given some crazy low rate I will probably spend my money on a newer, larger boat next time, Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy M30

I liked this cabin. It was a decent size for an interior cabin and I don't know if I could have dealt without the natural light of the portholes. We were the furthest back with the porthole option and I think it was a lot better to look out of than the more forward cabins. Very comfy bed and pillows, though they were fluffy, so if you like flatter pillows, maybe bring your own.It was perfect for the two of us, that being said, if you're a light sleeper maybe one of these cabins is a bad idea because you can hear everything going on outside including the anchor.