Celebrity Century Cruise Review by Grandmaanne7: Great first Celebrity cruise

Great first Celebrity cruise

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: San Diego

We have cruised several cruise lines but this was our first Celebrity experience.

We found check in a little slow but bearable. All staff were very pleasant and helpful. We boarded around 2:00 and our cabin was ready. We dropped off our bags and headed off to the buffet for our first lunch. It, along with all other meals eaten there, was good. Selection was good, food was tasty and fresh. I loved the sushi served there every day from 5:30 - 9:30.

Our concern about cabin location proved true as we experienced a lot of engine noise the first night. Strangely, it sounded like a train on a track. In the morning, I went to Guest Services to request ear plugs and mentioned the noise. We were very surprised that we never needed the ear plugs as the noise was much less noticable (not goine) for the rest of the cruise. After that, the only time the noise was bothersome was when we were pulling into port but we wanted to be up then anyway so it didn't cause a problem. More

We found the staff to be among the best we have ever encountered on a ship or in a hotel! From the Captain to security staff, everyone was personal, pleasant, efficient and friendly. We were greeted by name and with a smile everywhere we went. It was like we were the most important passengers aboard!

Entertainment was good and varied. We enjoyed Jordan Peterson in Michael's Club almost every evening after the show. There was always live music available somewhere on the ship. Some was to our taste and some not but we never felt we had to listen to something we did not want to.

Service in the dining room was exceptional. The staff do an amazing job especially when you consider how close together the tables are placed. The food was good but I was expecting better from what I had read. Still it was enjoyable. I had hoped for more seafood (scallops, scampi, calamari, etc) but all cruiselines seem to be reducing that with cutbacks. That said, there was not a meal that I did not enjoy.

We chose to do only one excursion with Celebrity and did the rest privately. I believe that good excursions truly enhance the overall cruise experience. Our excursions were great.

I found the ship to be in good shape. You really had to search for something negative to say. Of course, if one chose to spend their vacation searching for the negative, one could find it. I choose to look for the positive in all situations.

All in all, we would not hesitate to cruise with Celebrity again. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century 4155

Our concern about cabin location proved true as we experienced a lot of engine noise the first night. Strangely, it sounded like a train on a track. In the morning, I went to Guest Services to request ear plugs and mentioned the noise. We were very surprised that we never needed the ear plugs as the noise was much less noticable (not goine) for the rest of the cruise. After that, the only time the noise was bothersome was when we were pulling into port but we wanted to be up then anyway so it didn't cause a problem. We heard no noise from above and rarely heard anything outside our door.