Crown Princess Cruise Review by lmredman

Crown Princess
Member Name: lmredman
Cruise Date: January 2014
Cabin Number: R311
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

What a nightmare...

My husband and I have cruised with Princess many, many times without issue. This is NOT a similar story. It all started when we boarded and were getting our beverage packages. They have a new full service bar package that allows you to drink unlimited soda, coffee, mocktails and cocktails for $50 per day. Great deal right? Wrong! My husband cannot drink alcohol, but I do. I wanted the package but he didn't since he drinks water juice and an occasional coffee. So when I got to get the drink package for myself, I am told that both of us have to get it since we are in the same room. Really?!?! Almost $800 for drinks for a week for one person since the other didn't drink. So I politely passed and decided that I'd just take my chances paying per drink. It was a good thing too because not was single drink was made like the ones before. This was for the duration of the cruise. Even sending them back and having them remade didn't help. I ended up going over to the bar to show the "Bartender" how to make a Long Island Iced Tea! What a joke! Then let's talk about the times that I ordered a drink and it never showed up. This happened on numerous occasions.

Now lets talk about the "Fine Dining". We were supposed to have the same head waiter for the whole trip. We ended up having three of them, because the one we were supposed to have was chosen for special projects. I guess no one else was competent enough to handle those tasks. Portions were small, warm, and mediocre at best.

Another disappointment was the excursions. I paid $50 for a tour through an ice bar in St. Thomas. This was nothing more than walking through a giant meat-locker with some ice carvings. But that was nothing compared to the excursion my husband and his friend went on...they paid $220 for a dune buggy ride on the beach. What they got was a golf cart ride in the ghetto of the Turks. At one point they were even told to stop their vehicles and get out to follow this guy up a hill. Everyone thought that they were going to be robbed and shot. That wasn't the case thank heavens, but still $220 for a golf cart ride? How could Princess Cruises promote these types of businesses? We tried to get our money back for the joke of a dune buggy ride, but they wanted to fight and argue saying that no one else had complained. Probably because everyone was terrified after taking the ride through the ghetto and being told to get out and walk up a hill where they thought they'd die...

Lastly let's talk about their final billing. I was overcharged for so much that I can now see how they make their money. Remember the drinks I never received? I was billed for them...but thankfully never signed for them so they took them off. But also, I always drank long Island Iced Teas...how come they were charged differently? One time they were $9 then the next time they were $5.50. I went to the spa one port day (which is cheaper that the sea days), you guessed it...overcharged. I even showed them where I booked on line the price I was given. They tried to argue that at the time I was in the spa, the ship wasn't in port yet! I asked for a manager and of course there isn't one. Long story short, I got the bad charges reversed. But just imagine the amount of money they take in due to "billing errors". The three other couples in our party experienced the same so I know it wasn't just my husband and I.

Publication Date: 02/15/14