Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by eva.wy

Member Name: eva.wy
Cruise Date: February 2014
Embarkation: Singapore
Destination: Asia
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Worst Chinese New Year holiday choice...

Just back from a 5 night cruise on the Mariner of the Seas. It started off on the wrong foot right from the start...embarkation was a nightmare with the RCL staff totally helpless; looking on as tour groups and people cut into the queue everywhere.

Throughout our cruise, I am continuously amazed as I see plates of food being carried out of restaurants, people spitting on the pool deck, kids & adults shoving my elderly parents out of their paths, unflushed toilets, no concept of queuing etc. On the last day, when we went into the Savoy theater, a lady shouted at us saying that the entire empty center row is hers and we cannot sit there. It remained empty for the entire show. Selfish atrocious behavior and nobody around for us to complain to!! There are never any staff around the theaters or pool decks when they spit and swear.

From one of the cruise director's speeches on stage, he mentioned that out of the 3300+ guests, 2000+ were from mainland China. I am a Singaporean Chinese girl that just wanted to give my parents a treat by surprising them with the cruise trip. The entire time on board the ship was disappointing and at times, disgusting.

Port Klang is a waste of time.

Penang food was amazing! Their street art provides loads of photography opportunity and I wished I had more time there, as there is just not enough time to explore that beautiful town.

I have been to Phuket a couple of times before this for diving, so it does not hold much interest for me. For those who enjoy seafood as much as I do, Banzaan Market is just 10 minutes away by tuk tuk (approx THB300). You can buy fresh seafood and get the stalls upstairs to cook them for you. The only thing I did in Phuket was to have a seafood lunch, paired with a 3L Heineken beer tower (THB500).

The cruise itself is not bad, but I will never ever do it again during the Chinese New Year month.

(This view is shared by two Singaporean families i met on the cruise...)

Publication Date: 02/15/14