Royal Clipper Cruise Review by Laid back Josie

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Royal Clipper Cruise Review by Laid back Josie
Royal Clipper
Royal Clipper
Member Name: Laid back Josie
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Barbados
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Cabin Category: 01
See More About: Royal Clipper Cruise Reviews | Southern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Star Clippers Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment Not Rated
Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Royal Clipper Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Royal Clipper Deck Plans
Windward Islands on Royal Clipper

It has been a little over a month since our return and I just keep telling people about our cruise. We had an amazing time on our cruise. My husband and I will never cruise on a large ship again. The experience on a clipper ship is so intimate and so much more fun. The cabin was just big enough. The bathroom was even a little bigger than the big cruise ships. The crew and staff were wonderful from beginning to end. My husband and I are seniors ( 72 and 65). I'm not in the best shape but I had no problem getting around the ship. There were people from all over the world so it was really interesting meeting people. Because the ship only holds 227 passengers it was real easy meeting people and getting to know them.

When we came into a port we were able to get right in to the beaches on tenders.. Except for Antigua we were able to swim at pretty much deserted beaches. We couldn't dock on the side of the Fort at Antigua so we had to dock where the big cruise ships go. It was amazing to compare the ships. My husband said our masts were as high as the gigantic cruise ships but the town was mobbed and very commercial.

We took two tours, one in St Lucia and one in St Kitts. Both were very nice, informative and personal.

The accommodations were very comfortable. The food was superb. On the big cruise ships the desserts look great but are tasteless not on this ship. There are no elevators but the stairs are not steep and I got added extra exercise. Breakfast and lunch are both buffets. Dinner is sit down.

There are no shows and casinos but many would meet in the bar area for fun . One night was pirate night and there were hermit crab races to bet on . The cruise directors and their helpers were in charge. All were very young and enthusiastic.

One of the many things I was impressed with was when we went to a beach snorkels and gear,beach games sunfishes, and kayaks were provided free of charge. Also dress is casual. My husband was so pleased he didn't have to bring a tie.

Some of the down sides were poor internet reception so I would use the wifi when on land. We booked our airfare with Star Clipper and they certainly didn't leave enough time between connections and don't stay at the Miami Airport hotel( it smells of old cigarettes).

We are saving up for our next trip (maybe the Greek Isles)

Publication Date: 02/15/14