Royal Clipper Cruise Review by Laid back Josie: Windward Islands on Royal Clipper

Laid back Josie
Member Since 2013

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Royal Clipper Southern Caribbean Cruises

Windward Islands on Royal Clipper

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

It has been a little over a month since our return and I just keep telling people about our cruise. We had an amazing time on our cruise. My husband and I will never cruise on a large ship again. The experience on a clipper ship is so intimate and so much more fun. The cabin was just big enough. The bathroom was even a little bigger than the big cruise ships. The crew and staff were wonderful from beginning to end. My husband and I are seniors ( 72 and 65). I'm not in the best shape but I had no problem getting around the ship. There were people from all over the world so it was really interesting meeting people. Because the ship only holds 227 passengers it was real easy meeting people and getting to know them.

When we came into a port we were able to get right in to the beaches on tenders.. Except for Antigua we were able to swim at pretty much deserted beaches. We couldn't dock on the side of the Fort at Antigua so we had to dock where the big cruise ships go. It was More amazing to compare the ships. My husband said our masts were as high as the gigantic cruise ships but the town was mobbed and very commercial.

We took two tours, one in St Lucia and one in St Kitts. Both were very nice, informative and personal.

The accommodations were very comfortable. The food was superb. On the big cruise ships the desserts look great but are tasteless not on this ship. There are no elevators but the stairs are not steep and I got added extra exercise. Breakfast and lunch are both buffets. Dinner is sit down.

There are no shows and casinos but many would meet in the bar area for fun . One night was pirate night and there were hermit crab races to bet on . The cruise directors and their helpers were in charge. All were very young and enthusiastic.

One of the many things I was impressed with was when we went to a beach snorkels and gear,beach games sunfishes, and kayaks were provided free of charge. Also dress is casual. My husband was so pleased he didn't have to bring a tie.

Some of the down sides were poor internet reception so I would use the wifi when on land. We booked our airfare with Star Clipper and they certainly didn't leave enough time between connections and don't stay at the Miami Airport hotel( it smells of old cigarettes).

We are saving up for our next trip (maybe the Greek Isles) Less

Read more Royal Clipper cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Royal Clipper Review >>

Cabin review: Royal Clipper 235

The cabin is a pie wedge and it is conveniently located midships between the restaurant and the bar. the bed is against the wall so if you sleep on your right side you need to climb over your partner to get to the bathroom. There is plenty of room for clothes and suitcases though we brought only carry on. the room has two portholes which lets in plenty of light . The rooms were very quiet.