Ventura Cruise Review by keysellie: Never again

Never again

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Barbados

After my experience, all show and no substance.

The Ship cruised beautifully, but the staff let her down, especially the restaurant staff. They lacked training and even some meals appeared that were not as described. A "Caribbean Pork" was actually in Hoi Sin sauce which I suspected was left over from the Duck a couple of nights before. A "fillet steak" was actually Sirloin. When we asked for cream for our coffee, we were presented with milk in a ramekin dish and assured it was cream (whipped cream). The head waiter was called and cream in a jug appeared. A stroppy waiter slammed down a jar of brown sugar after we explained to him "Canderel " was not Demerara sugar and would he please bring us brown sugar?

The food was not special (on Princess you feel as though you are eating out in a nice restaurant every night, whereas on Ventura, we felt as though we were just eating food we would cook at home every night.

We paid extra to eat in the Marco Pierre "White More Room" on 3 occasions (£60 per couple) in order to get the food and service we wanted.

The constant hard selling of drinks spoiled what should have been a relaxing holiday and even when my husband still had a drink in front of him it was "Can I get you another drink?"

The staff in the restaurant did not smile, and I wondered if someone had died, so different from the wonderfully friendly and happy Princess cruises staff.

I felt the staff did not respect the passengers and did not want to be there

Generally, it was not a slick operation and I'll be returning to Princess where I hopefully will not be made to feel like one in a herd of cattle. Less

Read more Ventura cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ventura Review >>

Cabin review: Ventura D108

As we only booked 2 weeks beforehand, an inside cabin was the only one available, but it was lovely. Clever use of mirrors made it feel spacious and even though the fridge wasn't working at first, our steward Menino sorted it very quickly. I did miss having an outside cabin and being able to see daylight, but it didn't feel claustrophobic. Bear in mind though that it is almost half a mile from one end of the ship to the other and this cabin is right at the bow end. The laundrette on deck 9 and the restaurants are at the stern, so lots of walking involved.