Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by ronandrea1977: Very Disappointed on the my time dining experience

ronandrea1977
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Very Disappointed on the my time dining experience

Sail Date: February 2014

This is our fourth time cruising on a Royal Caribbean Ship and this time we were disappointed the most of all our twelve cruises. We felt the friendliest staff member was a young lady working at Sorrento’s Pizzeria; her name was [ Li Jing]. Of all our cruises, we never were felt more welcomed like Li Jing made us feel. My wife & I wished she was our waitress for dinner.

The dining experience on the Independence of the sea ship was not up to par. First of all, we had booked our cruise on the Independence of the Sea’s ship over eight months prior. We were told the early dining was filled and we had to settle for my time dining. We felt left out of any entertainment, which was performed lower level dining area 6 pm seating, but most of all of good service.

And then finding out from our waitress that my time dining waiters / waitress get 34 people to serve of where the 6pm & 8pm waiters & staff get 22 people to serve. I find it hard to believe More management can’t do the math. It’s just not fair!!!!!! This is a question for management, why is my time dining guests made to feel left out????

My wife & I and the couples we dined with all agree, if we are stuck with my time dining only, we will not cruise with Royal Caribbean again.

Also, it seemed like if you were ordering an alcoholic beverage the service was fast, but if you order an ice tea or lemonade everyone forgot about you. Two nights I had to ask at least three times for lemonade. Then at lunch twice I ordered lemonade and once I received it after I was finished with my meal and the other time when I was half done.

We cannot understand why lemonade, iced tea & orange juice at the Windjammer Café are all watered down & at the main dining area they are not. The orange juice at the Windjammer café actually tastes like Tang, it has hardly any pulp in it at all.

The food selections in the main dining room definitely went downhill from our first Royal Caribbean cruise. For instance, the everyday steak, Manhattan Flank Steak was like eating rubber. Once I ordered it medium, I received it well done. Then the head waiter brought it back again for the second time and it was raw. Finally the third time it looked good, but it was real chewy like rubber. My waitress told me she was sorry the steak was not up to par and that it just wasn’t my night. I thought Royal Caribbean pays the head waiters to look over any problem and help make it right. The lobsters [maybe 4-oz in size are a joke]…….then to see on the menu an up charge for a regular size lobster, my wife and I were totally shocked.

The service in the my time dining area was the worst we ever experienced. One night, they forgot to serve my wife her dessert and another they forgot mine. Our waitress had no personality; she never made us feel welcome.

My wife & I thought Royal Caribbean was a step above other cruise companies, but that’s not the case anymore. We believe everyone should be treated equal.

Yes, someone who cruises many times with Royal Caribbean should get a free glass of wine or go to a cocktail show, but not made to feel that their better than first time cruisers. For example, one section in the upper main theater you needed a gold card. We sat adjacent to that section every night and it was never filled. A matter of fact, only some gold card members cards were checked. We witnessed some people entering the theater 5- minutes prior to the show that were turned away to go somewhere else to sit. Then, when the show began, the rope was removed for anyone to sit. That’s not fair to chase someone away, then a minute or two later let anyone sit there. Royal Caribbean needs to take a good look at replacing the management staff that can’t put two and two together. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>