Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by raerenee

Member Name: raerenee
Cruise Date: January 2014
        7-9 5.0

Once is enough

Background on my family and this cruise

First Royal Caribbean cruise (been on Disney and Norwegian)

Husband: 41

Me: 40  Daughter: 8  Oasis of the Sea, Western Caribbean  Aqua Suite 10th floor.

First impressions:

The ship is huge! It was very exciting boarding this beauty. Check in was a breeze and everything was readily available as soon as we boarded. First stop was roast beef sandwiches everyone talks about. Very good. We were able to get in our suite right away as well. Like everyone says the balcony in the aqua suite is amazing. Enormous! I was a little disappointed in the bathrooms and bedrooms as they where both small and not so luxurious. I have stayed in suites on Disney and I found them to be much larger and better appointed (better furniture, etc). I do have to say our stateroom attendant was the best I have ever had.

Food:

The food was hit or miss. Some nights in the dining room were very good. Others not so much. I found the buffet to be horrible. I would rather eat the sandwiches in Central Park or get a burger from Johnny Rockets. Chops was very good and worth the extra fee. The Asian restaurant wasn’t great. I didn’t like any of their rolls. The Seafood Shack had good food choices as well.

Entertainment:

I can’t say too much on the subject of shows since I only attended one show...Come Fly with Me. I couldn’t really follow the story but it was still a great show. The acrobatics were incredible. We watched the aqua show from our suite and that was also very good. They did numerous performances during the week and some during the day. It was interesting watching them practice as well. We visited the casino several nights and were very lucky! Played blackjack for hours! The nightclub Blaze was also a good time. The music was a little dated but I’m from NYC so I’m used to being at the cutting edge. One great event they did was the Glow Party. They didn’t promote it too much but I’m really glad we went. I took my daughter and she loved it! Her best night all week!

Ports:

Corporate America. If you didn’t have a excursion stay on the ship cause all it was was Royal Caribbean shopping. We did the cabanas at Barefoot Beach. I don’t think it was worth the expensive. There was lots of shady spots so we didn’t need the cabana. Plus the upgraded lunch was awful. Cozumel we did Nachi beach. It was very pretty. At first it was frustrating checking in as they wanted cash and it says on website you can pay with credit card. After some arguing they allowed us to use our credit cards but only for multiple purchase. You couldn’t put one person on one card. Jamaica we did Good Hope estate and it was beautiful, the highlight of the ports of call. I love the Jamaican people.

Concierge services:

This is where I think Royal Caribbean is lacking. They have only two people services dozens of suites and diamond guests. It was always a line to talk to them. They didn’t do rounds to your rooms or leave you little treats like on Disney. You only saw them in the concierge lounge and only if you went to see them. They basically had no idea who I was. We had a issue trying to order food from the specially restaurants one evening to our room. They said it was formal night so it was too busy to do that. After some conversations we finally got it done. But everything was a struggle. We went to the lounge for breakfast one morning. Worst ever! It took 3 tries to get my food right ( egg white omelet with veggies, no meat, not so hard!) And my daughter never got her food. Also almost every morning I went up for coffee and it was out. How do they not have coffee at breakfast time? I feel that for what you pay for a suite you should get some sort of personalized service. This didn’t happen.

Would I do Royal again?

Most likely not. It was an awesome ship to see and was super well cared for but the service lacked. The food was just OK and the ports not very exciting.

Publication Date: 02/13/14