Norwegian Star Cruise Review by ringmaster

Email: mushimushi
Cruise Date: April 2006
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera
The cruise was to celebrate my DH and my 10th anniversary. We got a great price and cabin...somewhere on the 9th deck midship.

Embarkation was a breeze since I was a Latitudes member. How nice not to have to wait in such a long line. From line to being on board took about 1/2 hour. Not bad.

I thought the cabin was well laid out, loved the bathroom with the shower door and had plenty of closet and drawer space for everything with room left over. We did bring one of those clear plastic shoe bags to hang in the bathroom. Absolutely the best idea! Thanks to CC member for the suggestion.

As soon as we dropped off our carry-ons we headed to make our dinner reservations for the week (thanks CC) reviewed all the menus and was able to pick and choose what and where we wanted to eat.

Food...we found the dining rooms to have great service and food. Try the chilled soups, YUM! Loved being able to get souffle' a couple of times. Le Bistro was really good, service was average, go figure. Teppanyaki was awful...no flavor. We had sushi once for lunch, ordered ala carte...miso soup and roll or two for around $10-what a deal! The Italian and Mexican food rest. were so-so. Buffet was great for breakfast, didn't eat there any other time.

Signed up for internet so we could keep in touch with the three kids! It was a little pricey, but cheaper than calling.

We chose this particular cruise so we could hit Acapulco and see the divers. Heard it was supposed to be lovely. Well, the city is like T.J. by the sea. We took a tour that took us to the divers and around the town, with a stop or two. My suggestion, get a taxi, see the divers come back to the ship, go across and walk around the Fort, then head down the beach to Tacos and Beer. Sit by the water, eat some great food and enjoy.

Ixtapa was my favorite. Take the tender, then get a water taxi to the strip of beach you will see from the ship. Pick a down away from the dock, the chairs are there to use, they ask that you just buy something. Drinks, lunch...you can even get a half way decent massage from the locals for about $20. Don't forget the suntan lotion for after the massage...learned that the hard way. Sit in the water, and enjoy the day. Before you tender back stop by Valentina's shop for some beautiful pewter things. I spent SO much money there and wish I'd spent more.

PV-we chose to do the Zipline excursion. Worth every penny. had so much fun that we are taking the whole family to Hawaii on POA and have the same excursion lined up for all of us. At the dock is a little restaurant in amongst the vendors. Stop and get the homemade guacamole...the best ever. My husband still talks and dreams about it!

Cabo-we did the ATV. Had so much fun there we came home and bought our own!!!

We used our sea days to use the spa facilities. You can use them even though you don't order a treatment (hope that still goes) the pool is small, but a great view from the back. The outside pool is chilly and small.

If they have speakers on board take time to go and listen to them. The talks from the cruise directors are nothing more than a commercial for the shops. Kickbacks?

We had a great time...if fact I've talked my brother on taking the same trip this year! The water was smooth as glass. However, it doesn't hurt to take the dramamine before you board and every 12 hours after just to make sure!

The ship is beautiful, the entertainment was not Broadway, but you're on a ship...so. don't miss the Newlyweds Game, so funny I laughed till I cried!

You will get out what you put in! You are on vacation so ENJOY yourself.

Publication Date: 01/26/07