Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by karm1210

Carnival Freedom
Carnival Freedom
Member Name: karm1210
Cruise Date: January 2014
See More About: Carnival Freedom Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        3-6 5.0
        7-9 3.0
        13-15 2.0
        16+ 1.0
Shore Excursions 5+

Family Cruise

Embarkation: We got to the cruise port around 11:30 a.m. We did not have to wait at all, and were on the ship in no time.

Room: We had adjoining oceanview staterooms on deck 2. We had 4 people per room. The staterooms were larger than we have seen in the past. Cleaned twice a day. Marko was our stateroom steward and he was amazing. Our room was in the aft and it was quite noisy with the engines. Next cruise, I will be mid ship and probably up a few floors.

Ship Layout: I didn't like the layout at all. I have been on two other carnival ships, and by far this was the worse layout. You can't get across floors 3 and 4... You have to go up to floor 5. The Casino is located on floor 5 in the middle of the ship and the smoke smell about killed me. Deck 9 was the Lido Deck. Deck 12 was Camp carnival and only one elevator went to deck 12, otherwise you were taking the stairs. Which is another issue... The elevators are SLOW, especially on the days at sea. The glass elevators mid ship were usually the fastest.

Dining: The Chick Anytime dining was not what we had hoped. There was a party of 15 of us total, so we had to get a buzzer and wait almost an hour to get a table. Therefore we went to the guest services and were moved to the Posh dining room for an 8:15 seating the rest of the trip. The Service as well as the food quality has gone way down hill. One night the rolls were as hard as rocks, we asked for more rolls and never got any. The food has also gone down hill. The only night (out of 8) that we really enjoyed was the first formal night and they served prime rib and lobster. However; the Lido deck serves the exact same things at the buffet that the dining room serves.

The breakfast buffet was disgusting!!! The scrambled eggs were watery, bland, and cold. They served the same thing every morning. However; the brunch on sea days in the Posh Dining room was amazing, go for the steak and eggs. The omelet station was good and they will make you fresh fried or scrambled eggs, I would recommend this over the buffet. The Deli was probably my favorite for lunch: they serve reuben sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, grilled ham and cheese, turkey and roast beef sandwiches. My favorite was the reuben and the tuna sandwich. My kids absolutely loved the PIZZA: the 4 cheese pizza was my favorite. There is also a fish and chip place in the aft level 10. Not too many people knew about this. they had fried fish and fried oysters. The first day the fish was so greasy we couldn't eat it. My brother-n-law loved the oysters. Oh and if you want a drink, expect to pay over $6.00 for a beer and around $10.00 for any foo-foo drinks.

Entertainment: We went to a couple shows. The singers were awful. Also, the shows are not that kid friendly because of the outfits. I really don't need my 5 and 7 year old boys seeing girls in G-strings and twerking. UGH! My hubby and I went to the adult comedian one night and he was funny. My kids loved the late night deck parties and dancing. WE also did a lot of karoke and the lady who did the karoke was so good with our kids :-) thank you! My kids spent a lot of time in the arcade. However the games are around $1.35 each.

I will not be sailing with Carnival anytime soon. I feel like they have scaled back their service and food. Yet they have upped the prices on drinks. WE will be going back to Royal Caribbean or trying another cruise line.

Publication Date: 02/12/14