MSC Divina Cruise Review by gvf444

MSC Divina
MSC Divina
Member Name: gvf444
Cruise Date: February 2014
See More About: MSC Divina Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | MSC Cruises Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Ship Facts: MSC Divina Review (by Cruise Critic!) | MSC Divina Deck Plans
Fantastic Anniversary celebration - Long review

My wife and I selected the Divina because we did not want a typical American vacation - been there - done that many times. We wanted to have a cultural experience, we are 2nd generation Italian so we wanted to practice our limited language skills as well as enjoy Italian cooking - which is my wife's specialty. We also selected the Yacht club wanting to be spoiled, so this review is in the context of the Yacht club member and all the perks and exclusiveness that comes with it. Note - we are very particular - IE - last 4 vacations at the Ritz.

Embarkation - Butlers met us, smiles on their faces. Carried our luggage, stayed with us while we filled out paper work. We were in our cabin in about 15 minutes. Champaign waiting for us - great way to start.

Ship - gorgeous !! This was my 4th cruise, my wife has been on 5. Never have we experienced a ship so stunning. The ship is new, clean, contemporary and stylish. Enough said. I read some reviews about cleanliness - here is my take - This ship is clean - the staff are constantly running around cleaning up after you - the problem is with about 3000 guests, there are going to be a number of PIGS who cannot take their garbage 5 feet to a receptacle or to a tray. They leave their garbage anywhere and everywhere including the beaches waiting for their slaves to pick it up. The staff really did great staying on top of things - Footnote - to you smokers - The Beach is not an ASHtray. Why put your butts in the sand - do you think burying it makes it better?? Disgusting.

Cabin - Beautiful. Extra Large Balcony. Large Wall Mirror (my wife loved that) - very roomy. Modern design - spotless and cozy King size bed. Quiet, once we shut our door, only thing we heard was the ocean. By Far, I mean by far, the best cabin we ever had. I cannot express enough how nice this cabin was.

Staff - Now my wife and I are very friendly and outgoing and we bond with people. We always show staff respect and gratitude. We smiled, they smiled - Having said that, the staff, and not just in the Yacht club were Fantastic. Everyone was friendly, smiling. helpful. We had great service and became very friendly with the staff. When we left, my wife and one of our favorite photographers were embracing - both crying. The butlers treated us with respect and warmly - again - hugs and kisses from about 5 different wait staff. To you folks with bad service - I bet if you wiped the scowl off your face and did not talk down to folks, you would receive a lot better service.

Food - from reading reviews prior to our cruise, we were very worried. Now again this is in context of Yacht Club. Breakfast - we mostly did buffets in Top Sail lounge. Selection was a little limited, It would have been nice to have a few more items. Now - here is where my Americanism comes out - First thing we want at breakfast is coffee and a lot of it. The server do get to you - but it is longer than what I prefer. I would suggest a coffee urn so guests could help themselves to coffee. We did have breakfast once in Le Muse - It was good. Lunch / Buffet - this is where we were worried but ended up pleasantly surprised. We planned on staying away from buffet but just went to get some Pizza - which is amazing. Then we branched out to some of the other foods - we felt everything we tried was delicious - Now I read some folks complaining about Hamburgers and Hot Dogs - we never tried them as there were so many more quality selections. For those who complained about this being cafeteria food - I would sign up for this food any day of the week. Also - to some guests - I wonder how you can fit soooooo much food on one plate? Also try using a napkin every now and then. For Dinner in Le Muse - we loved the staff as mentioned above. We loved the food that we ate, everything was delicious. Desserts were great. Red Wine, Prosecco and Limoncello flowed freely. We were able to go to restaurant anytime with no wait. Only comment is that on Italian night the featured wine was from California, we wanted Italiano Vino Rosso. Oh, did I mention the Pizza - outstanding - I am from New York so I view myself as a Pizza expert.

Entertainment - We saw 4 shows. All of them were Fantastic and the main theater is beautiful. The shows were like a combination Broadway, Cirque du Soleil. Everyone very talented. My wife is a professional singer and we were a little disappointed in that the music was canned - we would have loved to have seen real musicians during the shows. If you like Michael Jackson - do not miss that show - dancing is fabulous. The cruise had a number of Duos and Trios along with an Italian band that primarily played the Black and White club. Most of acts used canned music to support their sets. Personally we are not fans of that - but that is the way live entertainment is going these days. We did love the Italian band who played everything from ethnic to top 40. Very Fun. There are dancers whose job it is to get you dancing and it worked and they are very funny.

Spa - Had 3 massages each - My wife loved hers, mine were good. The Gym (we are both gym rats) was great - never over crowed - worked out 5 days - great machines, free weights - cardio machines - Wife took Pilates in morning - she loved her instructor - oh - it was only my wife and instructor at 9:00 a.m.. Guess most people - still eating at buffet - Hey put those plates down and move!! So essentially a private class.

Guests - well we loved some while some others, not too much. It is very international with many languages, it was the tower of babel. But we loved that. Now there was an Irish party on board, about 800 of them. Somehow we got hooked up with them. Now words of wisdom - you Cannot out party the Irish. Do not try! What fun they had. I kept telling my wife that we need to stay away from the Irish since they were killing me, but somehow we would find them and again get captured to a night of drinking singing and dancing, I'm still recovering.

Final word - I hope that MSC does not try to become to Americanized. Their strength is that they are a cultural experience and Americans looking for Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Bud should probably go on Carnival. High Points - Crew and Cabin. Private Pool for Yacht club.

Publication Date: 02/12/14