Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by mcamen: Connie - favorite ship, so far

mcamen
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Western Caribbean Cruises

Connie - favorite ship, so far

Sail Date: February 2014

Just off the ship yesterday. 5 days. This was my 14th cruise (I think!), 3rd with Celebrity - and I believe it was my favorite.

Loved the ship. For me, perfect size. Large enough to have things I like, small enough not to feel crowded. I personally don't want ice rinks and rock climbing walls - just don't care about them.

Connie is 12 years old, but looked pretty much pristine. Really well taken care of. Interior design is quirky but elegant.

High points: Blu - loved it, food overall was excellent. Not sure I can ever go back to the big dining room - loved the intimacy and the impeccable service.

Cabin - AQ on 9. Again, lovely cabin, plenty of space, bathroom laid out well (shower does leak - particularly if you have on all the jets, but pool towels helped). Verandah was nice - totally covered, which I personally prefer.

Music and such - no reggae band at the pool. I LOVE that - instead, guitarist/singer, small bands, etc. Other venues: More some nice chamber music, some nice jazz. Enjoyed all that stuff.

Classic drinks package - although I was afraid I would drink more, as it was free - I didn't. And really nice not worry about the bill. Plenty of premium options on the classic plan - good bourbon, scotch, vodka - etc. The only reason, IMHO, to do premium is if you want the top of the line stuff, which often is top of the line because it has a prettier bottle (I'm looking at you Chopin vodka!) If wine/beer is your thing - premium may be better, but I was happy with Sam Adams, Redstripe, etc. And the Shiraz in Blu, and Rodney Strong wines were perfectly drinkable. Martinis in the martini bar were available - just the smaller glasses.

Service - terrific, pleasant, helpful, friendly. Couldn't ask for better.

Ship in general - again, loved the layout, the design, the quirky art.

Not so great:

Theater entertainment. Did enjoy the comedy juggler guy - quite funny. Production shows, however, were dismal - silly staging and singing styles, costumes were embarrassing. There was enough talent on stage to do something, but the design/directing were very weak. I didn't expect Broadway, but come on... (can't stress enough that I'm sure many people were happy with this stuff - so just my personal feelings, as a theatre person).

Desserts. I think Celebrity food is still very good, compared to other comparable lines - but not the desserts. Not sure overall, and there were some good things - but other lines are generally better. Just nitpicking here of course - there was nothing I thought was bad (and the chocolate lava thing in blu was a standout).

Immigration in Fort Lauderdale. Maybe it's been a while, but I don't remember having to wait for an hour to go through immigration. Only 3 officers on duty. Ick. Of course, there were like 7 ships in port that day, so maybe it's better at other times.

Security at FLL - I know this has nothing to do with the cruise, but it was awful. I know it's a stressful job, but rudeness and condescension are not necessary. Flew out of Cincinnati, which was fast and pleasant, security-wise. Will rethink using FLL airport in the future.

So it was a great cruise. Would happily do it again. Booked a Bermuda cruise on Summit while on board, so I hope Summit lives up to expectations set by Connie. Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation Oceanview Stateroom Vista Deck (7) 9043

Great Aquaclass cabin. Deck 9 is under the overhang so there no sun issues (unlike Deck 11, where the other Aqua cabins are located). It's also one of the two cabins that have the angled balcony, which makes it about 50% larger. Great design, storage, etc. Would happily book it again.