Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Janerain

Member Name: Janerain
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Never again

It's hard to sum up what made this experience so disappointing, it's a lot of things added together. However, my major complaint is the way we were treated in New York on our retun from the caribbean. We were told the ship had to have a zero count so had to disembark, go through passport control, and then walk outside in -27 degree cold. Mum and I then waited in the priority embarkation for almost 3 hours. The only difference between priority and the rest was we got free coffee. However on retuning to the ship, our table members had got on much quicker than us. As a result of this, my mum is now in hospital with pneumonia. When the Americans boarded the ship, all their immigration was done on board in comfort.

The ship itself looks old and tired and for a Xmas cruise, lacked any festive spirit. Meal on Xmas day was disappointing and a stone cold pudding was served on our table. New Year's Eve was a damp squib - nowhere to sit in ballroom, since figures in the pub for a sing along, and a ridiculous "party" in the lobby for those few who got a seat after early dinner.

Food - difficult to find a good main course and portions very small. Menu came round again during our holiday.

Entertainment was good but seen Apassionata so many times now, I think I could appear in it.

Went to get our photos and told they had been destroyed as the final leg back to the UK was the third cruise - nobody bothered to remind us of this and we booked as one single holiday.

Definitely not. a happy ship. With the exception of our waiters and steward who were excellent, the staff rarely had smiles or any interaction with passengers. I had to climb over two workmen in the laundrette who could see I was struggling with washing.

Terrible headwaiter - sent two seconds asking about our meal. Never nice asked how mum was despite seeing her in a wheelchair at the medical centre when I had to ask for help with the doors.

Too many screaming children - one couple brought young children down at late sitting and let one sleep with her head on the table and the other scream the whole time.

I basically spent 20 days in a pub quizzing and playing darts as there was very little else to do.

Publication Date: 02/12/14