Grand Princess Cruise Review by Buck Turgidson: Hawaii-Jan 19th to Feb 3rd

Hawaii-Jan 19th to Feb 3rd

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Francisco

Our son dropped us off at Pier 35, we were in our room E-317 within 30 minutes. View is about 70 percent obstructed but you can see water and get daylight. Bed was ok, didn't like pillows, one was a giant marshmallow and the other was small and lumpy. Overall room was nice. We stocked reefer with our own cokes.

Went out to explore, bought a coffee drink card for 29 bucks plus tip. It turned out to be a good purchase. Ended up on LIDO deck and watched football on MUTS as we sailed under the Golden

gate. The 4 plus days at sea were rough at times, 25 foot swells, made for an exciting walk on Promenade deck which they closed off to passengers while we were out there. Barf bags were available at elevators but I saw no one need them.

MDR dinners were the best of any ship we have been on.

Horizon buffet was just that, a buffet. To me all ship buffets are the same but my wife found the Horizon to be better than most. Plus is the personal service of the More waiters getting your drinks

Milk is available in pitchers, it sits which results in cool not cold milk , I would like to see a milk dispenser instead of pitchers

The International cafe was a great place for coffee, mocha fraps, pastries sandwiches. Wife loved their chicken Waldorf salad.

Pizza on lido deck was ok but pizza at Alfredos was very good.

Burgers, Brats and dogs on the Lido were very good.

We never ate in any specialty restuarants

The cruise director Dan Stein was the best we have ever had. Very funny dude.

We had very good comedians on numerious nights.

We had a great speaker talking about route 66 and other topics. I believe his last name was Sheehan.

We liked the MUTS at night even though the Base was to high but didn't care much for it during the day, we would venture to the aft pool when MUTS was blasting.

In Honolulu we went to the USS Missouri. We took the city bus for 2.50 each, stood most of the way, Lurching back and forth long ride. Enjoyed the ship. They make you check purses, packs etc before entering the area. Took a cab back to ship for 40 bucks. My wife bought a nice Hawaiian bead necklace at the only stand by the ship (we were not berthed at the Aloha tower)

Lahaina was a great stop though tender ride was not very tender, we rocked and rolled. Enjoyed the town and walked a lot.

In Kauai we walked to beach, watched chickens, kicked it by Marriott, drank beer at cool pub across the street. Wife shopped.

In Hilo we went to Hilo Hatties , then grabbed a taxi to give us a taxi city tour, just ok

Cruise to Ensenada was a little rough at times but not bad.

I liked Ensenada my wife bought some fire Opel with silver, it was a necklace and earings, about 40 dollars Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>