Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by Pat H

Member Name: Pat H
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Tenerife
Destination: Canary Islands
See More About: Thomson Celebration Cruise Reviews | Canary Islands Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Thomson Celebration Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Celebration Deck Plans
Not as good as three years ago

My wife and I are into double figures with Thomson Cruises, that apart we were disappointed with the last cruise on the Celebration. The previous week the ship had experienced a massive Novo virus outbreak and the ship had been, to quote " deep cleaned".

The first disappointment was the food, for the last three years [ the last cruise on the Celebration] I have been telling people that the food was the best ever on a cruise ship, this however was not the case on this trip.

We only used the restaurant three times twice for breakfast and once on the Captains night. The waiter at breakfast got it wrong on both occasions ordered eggs benedict and got poached egg on toast after the second breakfast we decided to use the buffet. The Captains gala night meal was a let down as well as. There was no organisation regards the Maitre de and his staff escorting guest to the tables, this chaos caused myself and wife to be seated on a table for six on our own, plus the fact the main dish lobster was very dry without any sort of sauce. We looked and felt quite isolated. Getting back to the food in the buffet, again three years ago this was an excellent experience. This time we found the food very unappealing coupled with the fact that the portions were very small you had to ask the server to put you an extra portion or two to make up for an average dish, this coupled with the fact that it was not self service and everything was dished out, due to the previous problems all condiments were stashed away and when you asked for the vinegar/Tabasco etc it usually got to you when one had finished.

One night the toilet overflowed and I must praise the staff for a very quick clean up however when the aqua vac was used the fumes emanating from it were pure sewage, the next twenty four hours my wife and I had the runs and the first stop when off the ship was the chemist for tablets. The same happened in the buffet at lunch one day, the vacuum being used smelt absolutely putrid and I did ask the staff member using it to turn it away as we were in a direct line with the fumes. I would like to ask Thomson HOW OFTEN ARE THE VACS STERILISED AND IS THIS ONE OF THE REASONS FOR THE NOVO OUTBREAK!

Overall nothing like the ship we experienced three years ago

Publication Date: 02/10/14
More Thomson Celebration Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Thomson Celebration review Read the next Thomson Celebration review

More Canary Islands Cruise Reviews