Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by Traci1960: First Time on RCCL - Allure of the Seas

Traci1960
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

First Time on RCCL - Allure of the Seas

Sail Date: January 2014

First a little bit about us. My husband and I have been on 6 cruises.2 NCL, 3 Carnival and 1 RCCL... We started with smaller ships, and have continued to choose bigger and bigger ships until we maxed out on the biggest cruise ship in the world. We did not know what to expect on this massive ship - but for the most part were pleasantly surprised.

- Embarkation - Simply a breeze. Got to the port about 10:30 - No lines at all to check in. Took about 10 mintues before we were sitting in the waiting room to board. We were on the ship around noon and immediately headed to Central Park for the famous Roast Beef sandwiches... THEY WERE AMAZING - this was our first of many for the week

- Our cabin was ready by 1:30 and was spacious and had TONS of storage options. Kudos to RCCL for the 3 electrical outlets on the desk and also the IPOD/IPHONE dual charger/Clock.

Since every cruise we have been on we have chosen an ocean balcony - this time we tried an inside balcony More over central park. Wasn't my favorite. No privacy and No ocean breezes. It was too hot and muggy to even use...Cabin was a great central location though.

Food is pretty subjective. We ate in the dining room 3 times, and although were dissapointed with the My Time dining (people make reservations for my time dining, which to me defeats the purpose) we had 15-20 minute waits and small crowded corner tables (for 2) usually near the kitchen or waiters stations. That said, the food was very good and so was the service once we were seated.

We also ate at chops. My fillet was very good, my DH had the porterhouse steak and said it was tough. The romantic atmosphere made for a very nice evening. We also ate at Samba Grill. The food was delicious, although the gaucho was not the most friendly. We ate at Johnny rockets for Breakfast and lunch. both meals were great. Had fresh made omelets at the wipe out cafe which were good. Breakfast in the buffet and room service was not very good, nor was breakfast in the main dining room. At all 3 places the eggs were horrible. We were a little dissapointed that the freestyle coke machine and self serve ice cream at the wipe out cafe closed early and was behind locked doors.

Entertainment - I can't say enought about the EXCELLENT entertainment. But you MUST make reservations as early as possible to ensure you get to see these shows. We saw Chicago, Oceanaria, Blue Planet and The Comedy Club and enjoyed them all. We missed the Ice Games or the headliner.

We loved Labadee and did an all day excursion in Jamaica and Snorkled with the Sea Turtles in Cozumel (I only do Ship Sponsored excursions so I don't have to stress about anything) and enjoyed both.

The ship was clean and the crew friendly.

Disembarking the ship was a bit slow. We were shcheduled to get off at 8:30. but was almost 9:30 before our number was called , then was 11:00 by the time we got through customs and taxi'd to FLL airport.

I would denfinatley go on RCCL again, maybe the Oasis next time. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas 11577

This balcony cabin was a great central location. Easy to navigate around. Close to elevators and relatively quiet. No ocean breezes and central park can get really hot and muggy.