“Great trip (but the food was a bit boring.)”
Cruise review of Norwegian Sun

PizzaLover Norwegian Sun 5 Great trip (but the food was a bit boring.)
PizzaLover
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

Background.... British guy, travelling solo – cruised with RCL, P&O, VtoA, Thomson.

The majority of the ship's services and facilities are excellent. Everything is clean. Everything is well managed.

The staff work as hard as on any other ship / cruise line to provide an enjoyable vacation.

Shorex provides a good range of tours.. neatly divided into coach/view tours and activity/watersports tours. The port guides only tell you about shopping opportunities (it's almost as if NCL has a deal with certain stores to put them on the map.... no.. surely not.) So if you want to explore a port and hope to find something other than a jewellery store, then I suggest that you print a map before travelling.

I have only one complaint... and because of this, I shall not travel with NCL again.

There are three 'classes' of dining (as there is with many other cruise lines) -

Cafe/Buffet

Main Dining Room

Speciality dining.

My complaint is that NCL really, really, really wants us to upgrade ourselves into Speciality Dining.

In the weeks and days before boarding I was bombarded with emails encouraging me to pre-book into the speciality restaurants. I can handle that. What bothers me is that I feel that the dining choice in the MDR is deliberately reduced in order to make Speciality more attractive.... or, at the very least, the better food and staff are only available in Speciality.

So the MDR meal is good food, well cooked and adequately served... but there is much less choice than is available with other cruise lines. The 'special' changes daily, and a few other items seem to rotate in and out... but, for example, if you happen to be a fan of Broccoli Soup, Lamb Shank and Cheesecake then you are in luck, because they will be available every night.

I had a really great vacation. If you're happy with repetitive food, or are happy to pay to upgrade every night, then the NCL Sun is fantastic.

Norwegian Sun Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Sun Review
Norwegian Sun Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?