Grand Princess Cruise Review by smooth.sailing: Never again Trans-anything

Never again Trans-anything

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: San Francisco

We had rough weather on the 15 day cruise to the Hawaiian Islands from San Francisco and it was unpleasant. The pools, work out area, and Promenade Deck were closed for safety. About the only activity left was to go to the center of the ship where it was more stable and read for five days. We will never take a Trans-anything cruise again.

The ship has been renovated and the carpets were clean and looked new. The elevators worked. Overall the ship is well maintained. Our cabin, aft with a balcony, was very clean. All the staff were cheerful, hard working, and pleasant.

The food was very mediocre. The meat was lower grade and tough. The desserts often were a variation of whipped cream and cake in different flavors. They finally made a delicious peach pie and it was very popular. We enjoyed the chocolate soft cones after lunch. I have trouble with salt and I gained ten pounds from water retention. My husband did not gain weight. The head waiter tried to help select More dinners for me that were low in sodium but their food has salt, lots of sauces and gravies on everything. I also suspect the desalinated water has sodium. So this will be my last cruise for health reasons. I would safely say that ninety percent of the passengers are obese and I would blame it on a combination of overeating and the amounts of sodium in the food and water. Plus the limited amount of exercise we could do because of the high waves and wind.

The entertainment was hit or miss.The singers and dancers were talented and the sets well done but they seemed to think an older group of people- most were over fifty-five, liked a lot of noise, confusion, and visual effects-wrong. The shows started out nicely but ended up with too much bang. The magician was terrible. The comedian well liked. We went because we were bored.

All the Hawaiian Islands were beautiful. We rented a car on each island and did our own tour which saved a lot of money. But the people who did the tours enjoyed them. I never heard a complaint. The stop in Ensenada, Mexico is required by the government and it was such a sad little town. Depressing. I felt so sorry for the residents. We went in town for an hour just to get on land.

We met a lot of very interesting and lovely people since we did the dining anytime. The dinning room is very nice and we did enjoy eating breakfast there once in awhile. The buffet area is very nicely done and pleasant. Our room had a balcony which saved the trip for us. We enjoyed the Trivia games. They do provide many activities if you can take the motion of the ocean in the public rooms forward and aft.

I'm sorry to be so negative but we had a rough weather. We still enjoyed relaxing, reading, visits with interesting people from the UK, Asia, Canada, and the US, mainly California. Hawaii is always a treat. It was our fifth visit there and our twentieth cruise. Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>