Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by gomerpyle

Member Name: gomerpyle
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Santiago (Valparaiso)
Destination: South America & Antarctica
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | South America & Antarctica Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

South America disappointing

We took 14-night cruise of South America, from Chile, south thru Straits of Magellan, and north to Buenos Aires. Supposed to be 7 ports of call, but 2 could not be accessed, and were simply skipped. In Punta Arenas, Chile, wind conditions made it too dangerous for tender boats to be launched, so the ship departed. In Puerto Madryn, Arg., there was some kind of strike of port workers, so ship did not dock here, either. We were not offered anything as compensation or as replacement for the lost experiences. And the 2 cancelled ports were 2 of the 3 ports for seeing penguin rookeries. I was scheduled to see penguins at Punta Arenas, and when that port was cancelled, I was too late trying to get a penguin experience at the next port (Ushuaia). So I missed out totally. The 5 ports that we did call at were mostly disappointing. In Ushuaia, a tour of Tierra del Fuego was a waste of time and money. Nothing to see but a few lakes, and woods. Montevideo, Ur. had nothing to offer whatsoever, and tour guide was boring. Buenos Aires was okay, except it rained while we were trying to tour the city, and I think the tour guide was under the influence. And Punta del Este, Ur. had little to offer; we just wandered around. And the excursions were quite expensive.

This stateroom is at the front of the ship. Looking out the window, you can see forward of the ship, and get an angled view to the front left (port side). The cabin is not the typical layout, and is roomier than usual. And although I did miss the verandah that we didn't have, the extra interior space was appreciated, especially in light of the fact that we were at sea for 9 days of the 14. I thought, too, that there could have been more dresser drawer space provided, since there was room for it. The shower area and bathroom are larger than what I've experienced on other cruise lines.

On a positive note, I liked everything about the ship and the staff/crew of Celebrity. The food was great, the shows were excellent, the pool and Jacuzzis were warm, and the staff were very friendly and attentive to our needs. Bar service was excellent. Our stateroom attendant was super. So I can recommend Celebrity Cruises highly, but not South America.

Publication Date: 02/10/14