Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Babyrocko1908: My NCL Breakaway CTN Review 1/31/14-2/2/14

Babyrocko1908
Member Since 2013

Service Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

My NCL Breakaway CTN Review 1/31/14-2/2/14

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We started off getting up at 5:30 a.m. to get the pups ready for daycare. We dropped them off and headed downtown to catch the Amtrak. The train ride to NYC was quick and uneventful to Philly. However, there was a delay in changing over the tracks heading from Philly to Trenton, and then from Trenton to Newark. I think we waited in Newark for 15 minutes while they waited for the tunnel into NYC’s Penn Station to free up and continue letting trains through. Overall, we arrived at Penn Station about 35 minutes late.

We headed up to the street to hail a cab and it was an eventful ride that ended up costing us about $17 bucks with tip. The cab dropped us off at Pier 90 and it was quite crowded when we entered the terminal. We were handed boarding group number 29 and proceeded to get in line to check in. Check in was long and one of the workers sent us into the wrong line, so her co-worker tried to tell us to go back around and walk down the correct line which would have More lost our place in the current line. I wouldn’t hear of it. I told him that wasn’t fair and he needed to close off the line well behind us since requiring everyone to walk back around would make all those folks behind me lose their place in line as well.

Before we got to the counter, the older gentleman directing passengers to an open counter was super nice and a bit “Friendly” so my babe looked at him like “slow it down a bit pops.” She’s so cute!!

While waiting be called to transfer to pier 88 to board, some folks were just downright NASTY. I started to get a bit uncomfortable b/c obviously there was nothing any of the workers could do to make the process go faster so nastiness proved to be fruitless and unnecessary.

When groups 1-16 were called to board, a nice gentleman said he liked my outfit, hair, etc so gave me his extra group 16 boarding card which I appreciated and off to the Breakaway we went. We were onboard probably around 1:10ish I believe. We headed straight to our balcony cabin #11114. I thought it was nice, but it was on the port side (I wanted starboard). We then headed up to the Garden Café for lunch. The buffet food was pretty good. There were a few misses that I tried but overall, it was good. I also met Tiggerwannabe and got my pretty pink butterfly.

After lunch we explored the ship and I thought it was just beautiful. My first cruise was on Carnival and all I remember were bright gaudy colors. We headed to O’sheehan’s for the muster drill where I met Mizlorinj. After that we walked around a bit more and headed out to the Waterfront for Sail Away.

After sail away we headed to dinner in the Manhattan Room. I had the salmon tartar for my app. It was yummy, I almost ordered a second helping, but the Duck Confit dish was awful, I sent it back and got the Eggplant which was just okay. I love duck confit but this was not Confit, no duck fat at all and it was dry -- which is the complete antithesis of Confit!! That was disappointing. I had the pistachio crème brule’ for desert which was good because it wasn’t too sweet.

After dinner we walked off the food a bit. We then headed back to the room to freshen up and relax a bit b/c we had a 10:00 pm reservations for Rock of Ages but we missed it. We had the munchies around this time so we snuck into the studio lounge and grabbed some cookies. It’s really nice in there. Around 10:30 we were beat and ended up skipping the show, so we showered and headed to bed.

Saturday morning I got up early b/c I wanted to get sunrise pics which came out absolutely stunning. I then hung out until it was time to get ready for the Meet & Mingle. I thought it went great and was extremely happy to meet everyone that I had the pleasure of meeting. I liked the DJ, but I didn’t spot a bartender or photographer??

After the Meet & Mingle we headed to O’sheehans for lunch. The food was just okay. I ordered a burger and the bread was hard as a rock. The apps (wings & cheese sticks) were okay but the spinach dip was awful. We then headed to Carlo’s and got 2 cupcakes they were also awful, not fresh, dry, and fell apart in the box and a cannoli which surprisingly was probably was the best darned cannoli I’ve ever had. We then stopped in the casino, had a few drinks, and just people watched until dinner. We headed back to the buffet for dinner and again it was pretty good.

Overall, it was a great cruise that we really enjoyed. The only downsides were the food issues listed above, all the unsupervised young children running around especially in light of yesterday’s tragedy, and no towel animals or chocolates left for us even after I tipped our steward each day. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 11114

The cabin was great. There was ample storage, nice king size bed, and a sofa. We had the layout where the sofa was closest to the balcony which I preferred. The television stations are minimal, and the bathroom was small. I would have liked more water pressure from the shower. Finally, the balcony was okay. Nice view but somewhat small.