Norwegian Star Cruise Review by thepumpkinlady

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Star Cruise Review by thepumpkinlady
Norwegian Star
Norwegian Star
Member Name: thepumpkinlady
Cruise Date: April 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

To Costa Maya on the Norwegian Star

April 2013- Norwegian Star- Embarkation- Port of New Orleans, LA

After around 20 cruises with various cruise lines, we pretty much know what to expect. We didn't like having to park our vehicle in the open lot at the port. My husband needed to take oxygen and a scooter on this trip. The crew members were very attentive during the embarkation process and throughout the cruise. We had an inside cabin, as usual. We are never in our room long enough to enjoy a window. As long as we can put our large suitcases under the bed, we end up fitting in the cabin just fine. This ship did leave two lapel pins for us, that pointed out that we had become "Silver" Latitude members. There were past cruiser parties, wine and cheese parties, good music and dancing. To have a wonderful cruise, one must study the ship's daily newspaper, to see what is going on. You can't do it all. The wider your interest, the harder it is to choose. It is a good idea to go on line and study the excursions before you ever get on the ship, ruling out what didn't interest you. That saves a lot of time.

I walk the stairs as often as possible, for exercise, and enjoy viewing the different artwork on each landing, as well as the decoration of the lobby.

We dressed up and enjoyed luxurious meals each night, in the lovely, chandeliers in the Versailles dining room. This ship had several beautiful stained glass ceilings. We bought some beautiful portraits. They will hound you to death to take pictures. Let them! You might just find out that they captured you and that special someone in a picture that makes you feel like a million dollars.

We heard some very good karaoke singers. I enjoyed the steel drum player in the group "Excite", and bought their cd in the gift shop. Another musical group that I liked was "Manila Trio". I love violins, One morning, they played for us at the breakfast buffet. Our schedule worked out for me to be able to use the hot tub a lot this cruise. I always like to go to the champagne art shows. We enjoyed the "Second City" improv show. I love the quick thinking going on in their skits.We also liked the comedy act "Sharkbait". They said they were retiring after that cruise. We did not like the musical "Shout". An act called "DuoAcrobatique" made up for it. We had seen this Russian man and and his wife's sensual "flying in the sky" act before. Her costumes were beautiful! We missed the "Magician's act". I had forgotten just how glitzy his costumes were. I was glad when they included him in the recap or combo show called "Elements". It was great.

We always look forward to the Chocolate Buffet, and were not disappointed. Over all the food on this trip was not as good as Carnival's, but you will never leave hungry. The entertainment on Norwegian, put Carnival's to shame. One day, I happened in on a fantastic food and vegetable carving demonstration. The man was an expert! His carvings were the most beautiful I had ever seen. We cruised with Carnival five months later, and found that not only was their entertainment awful, they didn't bother do to the vegetable carvings any longer, either.

When we got back to New Orleans, the rain stopped long enough for the porter to help us unload our heavy, heavy bags. After walking around the French Quarter for a bit, we headed back home. It was a wonderful cruise.

Publication Date: 02/07/14