Carnival Legend Cruise Review by HuckleberryVik: Loved It

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Loved It

Sail Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Tampa

We had an incredible time. There were 7 of us in our group, ranging in age from 30 to 45, (5 women, 2 men). I think we were about average for age on this ship, although sometimes it felt as though there were far more elderly folks sailing with us, than younger (especially in the Serenity Lounge).

The food was your average cruise food with the exception of the Golden Fleece Steakhouse - INCREDIBLE. I recommend that everyone book this. For $35, you will get about a $150 meal and if you book the first night, you'll also get a free bottle of wine with your meal. I don't journal much, but after that meal, I just had to write it all down. When we thought we couldn't eat anymore and were going to pass on dessert, the people at the table next to us told us we had to try the chocolate sampler. Needless to say, we devoured it. The staff was very attentive, the food with delicious and the experience is well worth the extra money. I will note that this was my 3rd cruise and my fellow More travelers were on their 1st, so when I told them that they could order more than one entree and more than one dessert for dinner...they were overjoyed! And our waiter, Aleksandar, made dining very entertaining - I've retold several of his jokes!

Between the 7 of us, we enjoyed excursions at every port, from swimming with the rays in Grand Cayman to swimming with the dolphins in Cozumel, to touring the Mayan ruins in Belize and zip lining in Roatan. We were hard pressed to name a favorite, each port held something special for each of us.

Several of us bought the Bottomless Bubbles deal - all you can drink sodas and juice for about $50. I don't think any of us would do it again. We just didn't drink enough to justify the expense. At first, we were disappointed we didn't take advantage of the Faster to the Fun, but by the time the cruise was over, we all agreed, that extra expense wasn't really necessary either.

Some of the best things we did with our room:

Used a luggage strap to keep our balcony door open at night

Brought an over the door shoe organizer for all sorts of stuff

Brought an over the door organizer for bathroom stuff

Suitcases stored under the beds

We're already looking for our next cruise! Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Panorama 8262

We had 3 adult women in our room - we did not have a bunk bed, rather our couch was converted to a bed. It was a tight fit, but with the added space of the balcony, we made it work without any problems - and we're all still talking to each other!Some of the best things we did with our room: Used a luggage strap to keep our balcony door open at nightBrought a hanging air freshener (Scentsy) for our room (would suggest one for the bathroom, as well)Brought an over the door shoe organizer for all sorts of stuffBrought an over the door organizer for bathroom stuffSuitcases stored under the bedsClothespins (next time I am bringing a bungee cord to hang clothes on - there's a line in the shower...but you use the shower)The only noise we heard was from neighboring balconies...we could easily close the door if we wanted to. And we could hear something large being moved up in the Serenity Lounge every morning at about 4am. I woke to that every day, one of the 3 of us never heard it...so it's all relative.

Two of our excursions were cancelled for Belize, the day before we arrived. I'd searched for days to find something other than cave tubing and was disappointed that the sharks & rays tour was cancelled due to low participation. I was all set to do a tour of the chocolate factory and make my own candy bar, however when I arrived, the factory was small and the candy bar station seemed sad.

Instead two of us booked a tour of the city by horse-drawn trolley. We were able to manage it for $35 for the two of us...remember to negotiate here. They will eventually come down, quite a bit if you are persistent and threaten to walk away.

The tour was incredible. What a great way to see the entire area and to learn about the people and land. It was about an hour and a half and I'd definitely recommend it. I did feel somewhat sorry for the horse - we were told he only does 3 tours a day, but he seemed ragged. His name is Diesel, he's 7 yrs old and the driver's name is Dion.

Dolphin Swim & Encounter

We booked the Dolphin encounter - push, pull and swim through the ship. There was a little confusion when we got off the ship as to when our excursion started - there was no sign for it at first and then we wondered if it started at ship's time or Cozumel time.

We had a little time before the excursion to do some shopping. I liked Cozumel. It's touristy, but it's clean and it's beautiful. I felt much safer in Cozumel than I did in Cayman.

We met our tour guide who took us to our vans. There were 12 of us in our group. It was about a 20 minute ride to Chankaanab. There, we were given instructions, shown to the lockers and bathroom and met our photographer. Cameras are not allowed near the dolphins.

There are about 8-10 areas where groups can swim with the dolphins. Our group was in the big central area. Guests have to stand on a grate at the edge of the water for most of the experience. The grate isn't comfortable, but it's not bad either. The water was up to our chests and it was choppy - you definitely wanted to hold on to the fence behind you most of the time. Once in the water, we got instructions about how to hold our hands to show the dolphins what to do. Our experience included a kiss on the mouth and the cheek, holding our hand up to have the dolphin touch it, shaking fins with the dolphin, swimming out and having the dolphin pull us back in by its pectoral fins and having the dolphin push us on a boogie board.

Our dolphin guide was kind of rude. We had a couple people in our group who were nervous about swimming and he had no patience for them. He kind of did the whole experience as though it was a checklist...who has done this, who hasn't done this, boom, boom, boom. Finally another guide came out and helped the nervous few swim out and then everyone was able to have a full experience.

Included in our excursion was a buffet lunch - it was meh. Typical mass produced food for a buffet. I wouldn't say it was authentic Mexican, but it wasn't bad.

We also had time to explore the area and we all got to participate in a tequila tasting - yum!

This was definitely a must do for me. And I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. They do get you on the pictures though - $37 for a single picture and over $100 for a cd, flash drive and 1 picture.

This was my 3rd trip to Cayman. I found it to be in really sad shape. Hard Rock is closed. A lot of the shops we went into (that weren't on our shopping excursion list), had very little merchandise and were dirty. The shops that were on our list, were high priced and didn't carry a big selection either. There are a lot of American fast food spots in town - Burger King, KFC, Subway and Dairy Queen. Of the two recommended by our ship, Margaritaville and Paradise, we chose Paradise. It's at the end of the strip and was very expensive. For 2 drinks, it was $25.

I would recommend Stingray city...it's a great experience.

Zipline Adventure

We chose to book with Victor Bodden and do their Zip-n-Dip. We LOVED it!

I chose to take a taxi to get over the hill...the hike from the ship to the taxi area was more than I wanted to do and I gladly paid the $2 to get me the rest of the way...all I asked was that we beat those that went on foot - and we did! I am glad I took the taxi, it would have been difficult to tell which tour operator was with Bodden - there were a zillion guides and vehicles. My taxi took me right to it.

Our driver took us to the zip line. We left all of our belongings in the van - we were assured they would be safe, and they were. We met the 4 young men who were going to be our zip line guides and got strapped in. Don't worry...no one looks cool or glamorous in that gear. It's quite a hike to get up to the zip line, but so worth it. I'll be the first to admit that I am overweight and way out of shape and I was doing some serious huffing and puffing, but I'd do it again in an instant...ok, maybe give me a day or two to recover. There are 12 platforms to go from and the scenery is gorgeous! The guides show you what to do and by the time we were done, many of our group were zipping upside down or without our hands!

After we zipped, we got to meet the animals. I loved the zip line, but I seriously loved the monkeys! We got to interact with them and they hopped and climbed all over us. We also met an ant eater, some lemurs, white chested squirrels, deer and something that looked like a large rat. We also got to have parrots sit on our heads - sort of painful, but a unique experience.

After the animals, we had a little time to shop in their store before heading off to Bananarama to swim and snorkel. With our package, we got lawn chairs and showers for free. The only downside to the beach is that you are interrupted about every 5 minutes by peddlers and there were several boats anchored directly in front of us.

We got a great tip to take snorkeling gear and go to the left beyond the "toys". I didn't go, but the few who did, said it was amazing and some of the best snorkeling they'd done. All in all, it was an incredible excursion.