Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Kristi

Norwegian Spirit
Norwegian Spirit
Member Name: Kristi
Cruise Date: January 2007
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Spa & Fitness 5+
        Under 3 1.0
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Spirit - Western Caribbean
In general we had a good cruise. We had five couples in all with two babies less than 2 years old. Freestyle eating was the best for us although we made reservations right away since we had such a large group.

Also there are no refs in the room and I was able to get one for the babies milk etc after making a call. The ship also provided us a PackNPlay for the baby which worked well. I would recommend getting a balcony room if you have a crib. At least have a little more room.

A few downfalls: The "blue lagoon" touts to be open 24 hours but I found closed many time when I was up with the baby very early (like anytime before 7 am). And everything from there has to be ordered from a specific menu - nothing that you can just "grab".

At most of the destinations, we had very little time. I think I would have preferred less stops and more time in port.

The ship's engine broke one night leaving the ship without lights for about 30 - 40 min. It was not a big deal but the repairs put is 2 - 3 hours late into port. The captain allowed the boat to stay in port till 8pm but it didn't matter because the shops closed.

Travel to and from anything that was away from the harbor was pretty expensive. In Barbados, we paid $20 per person, one way to the wildlife reserve and then another $12 to get in. ($52 total per person).

The kiddy pools were SO cold that we spent most time in the hot tub.

Our son (18 months) was too young to go in to the kids group but the ship did have a time when parents could take younger ones to the play area. Unfortunately it was 5:15pm to 6pm (can you say "dinnertime"????)

Some pros -

The casino was great. There was a good variety of types of machines and it was quite comfortable. I would recommend that the ship lower their texas hold'em cash table limits. $10 min sm blind is quite steep. In addition, they scheduled a tournament for 30 min. after leaving the last port, A time when most people are showering, eating, cleaning up etc. I am not sure why they didn't schedule it for a day at sea - because we had 4 of them!

The food was mediocre except for the Sushi which I found excellent. I ate at Le Bistro and Shogun (pay rest). I heard that Cagney's was great but all reservations were booked up by halfway through the cruise.

Staff was extremely friendly. Something I cannot say about the cruise excursion rental boat captain (not a direct employ of the ship). I never heard anyone say such mean things to the general public.

Cruise director

Our cruise director, Julie, was okay but after cruising on the Norwegian Sun with Colin, Julie was pale in comparison. Her jokes were scripted and not funny and she did nothing to drum up excitement.

Publication Date: 01/25/07