Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by superman2453: Younger Couple's Perspective

superman2453
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Celebrity Silhouette Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Younger Couple's Perspective

Sail Date: January 2014

I used this website to make some choices in the past, so I thought I would share my opinion and give some help.

First we are 35 years old, this is the second cruise we have been on. The opportunity for half of the trip to be funded by a work spiff/reward scenario left us with a choice between carnival and celebrity. So I choice Celebrity because we went on a shorter cruise with Carnival a year before.

I had heard Celebrity was nicer and it was more expensive so away we went. I booked about 90 days in advance and booked an interior room. Then as we got about two weeks out I called in for upgrades and the ocean view room became less expensive the what was paid, two days later I ended up upgrading to the balcony room for only a 100 per person more then the original interior room. Seems like a good way to save money and I would repeat this process next time I book a cruise. The balcony was nice because if we didn't want to spend time at the pool we could still be outside More at our room.

We have young kids but left them home on this trip. But we did observe what it might have been like for them. There were less then 20 of them on the whole ship. I don't think they would have had fun with that in mind. Carnival seems to be more geared to kids.

The passengers were old! I would guess the average age of everyone was across the whole ship was 61. It had some negatives and positives.

First getting into dinners early was more difficult. Dinner discussions were like having dinner with your grandparents which was fine but not exactly common ground. That crowd left the pool areas and hot tubs vacant at 9 PM it was shocking there was not a soul on the whole pool deck it seemed in the evening which was nice. Also if you didn't mind eating later it fast and easy to get in.

We chose the flexible dining option and found that worked better for us since we are vacation didn't want to be ruled by a schedule. We decided against the extra cost dining options after going to our first meal which was really good. The buffet location was where we had most breakfasts and lunch if we even at lunch and it was busy that time of the day but fairly standard stuff for buffet style food. Good not great but they did have sushi which we had a snack of almost ever evening which again was ok but still a nice treat. The main dining room meals were very good. High quality with fancy options. Beef was great, fish was ok and lobster was pretty well done. Good deserts and much nicer then our typical restaurant at home anyway.

We don't drink alcohol but had a many many diet coke, and coke zeros along the way with the soda package they offered.

Generally service was not as warm as the carnival experience which was suprising except our room attendant was very cheerful, warm and fantastic.

Coming from a cold state being in the Caribbean was nice, warm and beautiful. On our Sea days we stayed active and went to the gym to workout before dinner.

On our port days we walked a ton in San Juan.

We did a snorkling excursion on St Kitts which was fun. We got a taxi to beach in the morning on St Kitts which was fairly easy and very nice as well.

On St Maartin we rented a 4 wheeler and went around the whole island, that was not a very long drive sharing a small machine so I don't think I would do that again. In the afternoon we did a discover scuba class which was very fun, and the highlight of the trip.

We relaxed by the pool or on deck many other times and generally found it be relaxing and a great trip.

We spent little time with the shows only once and went to a comedy show as well it was ok but the comedy show was pretty crude... Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>