Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by sobayclosetlady: Want to eat the same thing every day? Sail NCL

sobayclosetlady
Member Since 2014

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Alaska Cruises

Want to eat the same thing every day? Sail NCL

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Anchorage

In reading other reviews written by "veteran" cruisers, I'm surprised to find so many high ratings for this ship. Oh, where do I begin? We boarded in Anchorage. The weather was terrible, with torrential rains. The ship wasn't due to sail for several hours. But NCL decided to do an early break down of the covered walkway that protects passengers on the long, long walk from the check in area to where you board the ship. By the time we boarded, we were soaked to the skin. By comparison, we've been greeted by staff on other lines, where they've assisted us in boarding - not left us to the elements. Not a good start.

Then we got to our cabin. Compared to the typical balcony cabin, storage was extremely lacking. Not a single drawer! There's lots of stuff that doesn't store easily on a shelf, although those were limited, too. And there wasn't much storage in the bathroom. Usually there are shelves under the sink or on the floor below. The Sun only gives you room for toiletries on More the little shelves above the countertop. That's it. Had it been a longer cruise (we have a month long cruise coming up), I don't know where we would have stored everything and still been have been able to accessed our stuff when we needed it.

NCL ships have a lovely exterior, so we expected a lot. We also read that the Sun had been renovated a few years prior to our sailing. But it was obvious that the décor was terribly dated. It appeared that it had never been attractive. Not a great looking interior, when you compare it to Princess, RCL, or others.

Our biggest gripe with NCL is with the food. The menu in the dining room is EXACTLY THE SAME every single day for breakfast and lunch. Really?? Would it be that hard for them to change the regular pancakes to banana pancakes? Even the same flavor ice cream every day. I've sailed on many cruise lines, but this was a first. So we tried the buffet. They offered, without question, the worst buffet sailing. Very few options, not much flavor, lukewarm food. The only thing we really liked on the buffet was the pretzel bread.

At dinner, they give you 4 entrees that may vary, but the other entrees and the appetizers are the same every night. And the food is only mediocre. If it was good, I might not have minded so much. So we tried some of the specialty restaurants. The teppaniaki place was good, but the Brazilian one could have been better, and certainly wasn't worth $25 each additional. One of the things a cruise should give you is great food. There wasn't one thing I ate onboard that made it past the okay category.

There also doesn't seen to be a lot to do aboard, at least when compared to other lines we've sailed.

What I will say is that the staff (for the most part) was quite good. Our cabin stewardess was terrific. And so were most of the staff we encountered throughout our voyage. But good service isn't enough. I absolutely wouldn't recommend the Sun and probably not NCL. I won't sail them again. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

This port is a total waste of time. Don't even bother getting off the ship except to stretch your legs. There isn't anything here. Not even really a town. What town there is isn't remotely charming. Cannot figure why they stop here.