Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by balexander9

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by balexander9
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: balexander9
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Cabin Category: Handicap Accessible
Cabin Number: 9-700
See More About: Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews | Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

The Worst Cruise Ever

I have been on a number of cruises over the years, including a few "Cruse to Nowhere" cruises. However, this 2 day Cruise to Nowhere on the Breakaway was the WORST cruise I have ever taken. Since my husband is in a wheelchair, I booked my room through one of the Access Coordinators, explaining our needs.

When we arrived at the terminal, I was told to stand by the blue Special Needs Sign. I wheeled my husband over there and stood waiting with a woman with a walker. We waited for a while and no-one came to assist us. That was pretty much the way the whole cruise went. I had to push my husband's wheelchair while pulling a suitcase (I am almost 70 years old) by myself. The did have help for two short legs of the trip but we for most of the time, there was no help, even when I asked for it.

The room was cold even though the heat was set all the way up. When I called for help, someone arrived about a half hour later and told me that the cabin was warm enough. It wasn't and didn't actually become comfortable until the next day. The toilet often didn't flush. The first time that happened, I called downstairs and someone was sent up about a half hour later. The toilet flushed perfectly when he was there. He said that sometimes the toilet didn't flush when too many people were using the water on that line. That continued to happen often. I called to get blanket because it was still cold and was told they would be sent, but no-one came. I finally went out in the hall and was able to find someone to get my husband a blanket. The corridors are very narrow and were often obstructed by supply carts and laundry bags so that I couldn't get the wheelchair through. I asked for help but got none so I had to move the carts myself. As we were leaving the terminal, I had difficulty getting into the elevator with the wheelchair and our suitcase and asked the woman there if she could please hold the handle of the suitcase for a minute while I turned the chair around. She refused, saying that that was not her job. Seriously!!! The passengers in the elevator jumped to help me and expressed disbelief at the woman's attitude.

Overall, it seemed that there were too many people on-board for the resources available. I heard many people comment about the waits for seats in restaurants that they were closed out of tickets to shows. The description on the Norwegian Cruise of the 2 day Cruises to Nowhere on the Breakaway states that there is "complimentary room service" on those cruises. The daily printed schedules that were given out also said that room service was available. When I called for room service, however, I was told that there was no room service on 2 day cruises. Since my husband was exhausted, I had hoped to eat in the cabin but no such luck.

Customer Service was terrible. People rarely apologized for anything that went wrong and often didn't seem to understand what I was saying when I asked for something. We were sent a complimentary fruit bowl by someone from Guest Services when I made a complaint but most people didn't seem to care at all.

This was my first and last cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line.

Publication Date: 02/08/14
More Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews

More Cruise to Nowhere Reviews
A First Time Cruise
First cruise first impressions
More Norwegian Breakaway Reviews
Nickle & Diming
Could have been better, could have...

More Cruise to Nowhere Cruise Reviews