Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Scubagal2005

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by Scubagal2005
Independence of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Member Name: Scubagal2005
Cruise Date: January 2014
See More About: Independence of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Disappointed

Follow through on things said. This was my first Royal Caribbean cruise. Several friends who travel with RC have always told me that they are top of the line. So when our motorcycle chapter put together a cruise my husband and I decided to give you a try. Boy were we disappointed from day one. Before I disclose ALL the problems; I would like to praise to the highest extent our cabin Stuart. His name is Rolando. He was very helpful, very kind, and always polite. The only problem I can say against him is that I have long hair and he missed some in the bathroom under the sink one day. And the balcony had several hairs next to the glass. But he took pride in his job and was conscience. He helped me when I had a party in our stateroom for some friends. He should be commended for his outstanding work and customer relations.

Now the list of on-going problems:

First I was told that wheelchair would great me when I arrived. There were none available. When I requested assistance I was told to go inside to check in, I was escorted to the front of the line for security. Once inside and through security and proceeding to check-in, I was told to go back outside, back through security. I am diabetic and needed to eat since I had been traveling for several hours before boarding the ship. I was getting very sick since it was lunchtime and I had not been able to eat since breakfast. I just wanted to get on board so that I could eat. Once we were processed on the ship, which the lady who checked us in was very nice, she rushed understanding and seeing that I was not feeling very well. I went straight to Windjammer for lunch. The food was okay, but at that point food quality didn't matter to me. We then went to our room to rest and unpack. We walked in and there was a small amount of trash on the floor, the bathroom trashcan was hanging loose on the wall. The ac didn't work properly. It was either too cold or too hot. We tried to adjust to a comfortable setting but throughout the entire cruise I either froze or burned up, too hot! When I took a shower the first night the water was cold, no hot water. Yes, I turned it on and pushed the button and turned both handles. Still no hot water. This lasted for two days. Cold showers!! The toilet seat was loose when you sat on it. That was just the bathroom. The beds didn't stay together. My husband's knee and elbow would fall between the cracks when we cuddled. For the price we paid for a balcony room, there should have been a regular frig that kept things cold, not just a cooler. We were very disappointed with that amenity.

Service: Several staff members were rude and disrespectful. One in customer service and one in the loyalty program. The one in customer service just stood there and gave a blank look when I reported the problems we were having. The lady in the loyalty program refused to assist me. I went to find out about the program. There were no available appointments so I waited to speak with her. There was one gentleman and a couple waiting while she assisted three ladies. The couple left, another couple came in and the ladies finally finished. She addressed the gentleman and ignored me. She took the other couple to her desk. I made a comment about being ignored, she said they had an appointment, I said, I understand, but you took two seconds to address the gentleman's questions and ignored me. Not a good way to encourage repeat business. My husband and I later returned and spoke with someone else. She was very nice. The white lady helped us and the black, dark skinned, lady was rude to me.

The food selections were very poor. We, our group of 12, would order two or more entrees just to get something we could eat. I have traveled on several other cruise lines, this was the worst that I have been on. In the Romeo and Juliet dinning room for lunch, service was slow and almost non-existent. We had a hard time getting anyone to take our order. So....our group ate lunch in the Windjammer the rest of the cruise. Again, not enough choices. Dinner for the most part was okay, but nothing to brag about. We had a major problem on Friday the 24th. When my husband and I sat down to dinner we noticed that the tablecloth was covered with tiny hairs. Not hairs from falling from someone's head. It looked like someone had used the cloth to wrap around someone who was getting a hair cut. There were hundreds of hairs all down the one side of the table. When Ransel was informed he took all the silverware from that side of the table, then placed another small cloth over the hair-covered cloth. GROSS!!! We felt the entire table should have been changed. Or move us to another table. Ransel was a very very very good waiter. We were not displeased with his service. But no one should have to eat a table covered with hair. That changed my appetite. When we informed the dinning room manager, he stated: "that it could be from other people's hair falling on the table." That was not the case. These hairs were too small and too many. As compensation the last night on the ship he sent a note and four tiny cupcakes. Big deal! Like that would satisfy or make-up for eating on a table covered with hair.

Overall, I was very disappointed with Royal Caribbean service, treatment, compensation for inconveniences, and cruising. I did talk my husband into putting a down payment on a future cruise, but there is no way I will ever sail with Independence of the Sea. Being fair and giving your company a second chance we will try another ship. Hopefully it will be better, if not I will sail with other companies that have proven to me that I am valued and provide a pleasant cruise. I cannot express the depth of my disappointment with RC.

Publication Date: 02/08/14