“Novovirus alert”

Member Since 2014
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

My wife and I decided to try the Canaries cruise for her special birthday in Jan. We have been on three previous Cruises with Thomson's all of which we enjoyed,so had no hesitation in trying the Celebration.

From the outset things were slightly different which should have rung alarm bells! We had upgraded to a bigger cabin on Deck 6 at an extra cost which was well worth it.

We immediately went for something to eat in the Buffet Restaurant but we're surprised to find that instead of self service, we were being served by kitchen staff?

Day one kicked off with a number of cases of seasickness, but it was on day three that the hygiene position became fully prominent! A massive outbreak of Novovirus had taken over the ship with 75% of people affected including crew and staff.Apparently this virus has been on the ship since December and despite numerous attempts to fumigate the ship this had been unsuccessful!

I feel disappointed that Thomson's were aware of this but prior to departure for obvious commercial deasons it was not communicated to the paying passenger's. The potential risk to the elderly and infirm had not been taken into consideration and I feel the Company were somewhat negligent in their actions. (Whilst on the ship we experienced 3 different occasions of emergency medical assistance required.)

On our day of disembarkation, the full ship was emptied of all passengers and some crew in order that the full ship could be fumigated and the water system emptied and sterilized! (This exercise has proven to be unsuccessful, as I witnessed first hand, passengers being sick all the way home on the flight back to Uk after spending last week on the ship, post clean up exercise!)

Overall Ratings
Published 02/07/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Thomson Celebration Review
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?