MSC Preziosa Cruise Review by archicruiser: Unforgettable

Compare Prices on MSC Preziosa South America & Antarctica Cruises

Unforgettable

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: South America & Antarctica
Embarkation: Santos (Sao Paulo)

We started this adventure in the port of Santos, Brazil. Embarking was swifter than I expected considering so many people. The first impression of the ship is great, I particularly liked the entry setup with the little tent and flowers and flag. The magnetic card check-in at the ship's entrance is also swift and cool; it makes you feel safe that the person checks the picture to be certain it is you who is entering. At first glance the ship looks so fancy, but I think the entrance space could be a bit larger since the line gets slow because everyone is admiring the lobby so it gets crowded pretty soon. Getting to the cabin the first time is a bit difficult (getting acquainted with the ships map), and throughout the trip we encountered too many people lost, specially elders, we traveled in a 7 people group with my parents, who had trouble most times getting around, I really do not understand the lack of signage marking elevators and stairs, and more didactic signage for getting around. More

After we settled in, everything was bliss, the ship is so tidy, it smells great everywhere. The main deck (14) restaurant area is fantastic, the food is abundant and so good, there is great quality of ingredients and preparation, although one has to schedule the visits to the buffet to avoid crowds and enjoy a better experience without long lines for serving.

The pool areas are very nice but the negative side is that after so much attention to detail, it doesn’t seem that someone thought about the music volume, it is extremely too loud in all pool areas, so after a few minutes it becomes really annoying, on the one hand because music playing too loud does not allow for conversations comfortably and second because the quality of the music itself gets distorted after so many decibels. So if you can tolerate extremely loud music, continue. The pools are a bit small for the amount of people on board, when no one disembarks there was simply no room in the pools it was a bit of an adventure getting in to refresh from so much heat, the water is salty (I don’t know why) but very refreshing on the days with less people on board.

We had the arabesque restaurant assigned for the evening, the menu promises a lot but the served dishes are far from that promise, the buffet if far better quality, it is hard to understand why they can’t match that quality considering it is supposed to be fancier.

Get the beverage packages as soon as you get in, the service charge savings are very convenient.

The entertainment was just awesome, well performed and themed, really great artists.

All ports and disembarkation procedures top notch, Buzios my favorite, great picturesque little town, great shopping, beautiful beaches.

Do your best to avoid visiting the medic, my wife suffered an ankle sprain on the last day, and the doctor was just awful, the low point of the MSC Company.

I highly recommend this cruise, the preziosa through the Brazilian coast simply unforgettably beautiful. I shall post further as I recall more details. Less

Read more MSC Preziosa cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Preziosa Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Preziosa 9038

The cabin was 9/10, just a tiny bit more space for large luggage was needed and our balcony did not have a glass railing, so when sitting you miss half of the view, we spotted the cabin from the outside and it is one of the so few economy cabins with a steel railing, that makes you feel less privileged than the 99% rest of the ship.