Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Kathy08034

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Kathy08034
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: Kathy08034
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)

The Norovirus Curise

Let me start by saying this was my third time on the the Explorer of the Seas. The first two were very good, but there was no crisis either. I also want to say that I in no way blame Royal Caribbean for the outbreak for the Norovirus. I also, can't stress enough the hard work of the crew. After they did their regular shift, they worked another shift cleaning the ship. And from what I have read, these poor people will probably not even be compensated for their efforts. My issue is with the Captain and Royal Caribbean. This was not the first time the Norovirus broke out on a cruise ship. So one would assume that Royal Caribbean would have a contingency plan in place. But this was clearly not the case. The Captain showed no leadership skills at all. Communication between him and the passengers was little to none. The games and excursions (which were not available because we were not going to the ports) ran continuously on the TV. But information to ease the passengers concerns on the status of the virus never mentioned at all. Rumors ran wild. I also spoke to very few people that did not get sick. However, most of these people did not seek medical help because of the horror stories by those people that did seek help. They were in no way equipped to handle such large numbers. I would hate to be on the ship if an even greater crises arose. The compensation RC is providing is very fair, but it only came after the news media got involved. The original compensation was only $400 per cabin. In my case it would equate to $200 per person for lost of 2 days, 2 ports, cancelled shows, activities, closed dining facilities, and a lot of confusion over time changes. I could go on and on, but, the my main issues was the way they handled or did not handle the norovirus crisis.

Publication Date: 02/07/14