Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by eglidenblu: Not like I remembered

Compare Prices on Serenade of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Not like I remembered

Sail Date: January 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans

i remembered RCL being so very nice, great food, great service, just great in everything they did. I had pumped up RCL to my wife and family, that they would never again want to step on another Carnival cruise after going on an RCL cruise. Boy was I wrong.

Embarkation was smooth as silk, I did learn that if your going to use cash for your onboard, go ahead and put a cc down to avoid the long line on embarkation day at the guest services desk as the pier personnel dont deal with cash. The very nice lady warned me in advance, so I used a cc to set up my account then later in the day, after the lines had dissipated, I went to guest services and dropped my cash on the account, much easier then fighting the line right off the bat.

Breakfast in the Windjammer was ok, it looked like there were losses in transaltion from whatever language to english. Example; Sausage gravy was called cream sauce, which for breakfast doesnt sound very appetizing. The biscuits for the gravy More also left a lot to be desired, not good. Example at lunch, baguettes split for sandwiches were next to items called dips instead of salads. I like shrimp salad sandwiches, or tuna salad or chicken salad, but here they were all called "dips" instead of salads, confusing because there were no chips or crackers available for dipping. They did have a very nice smoked salmon bar for breakfast, the egg station was hit or miss as 1 day I watched a chef attempt an omelet, I and the guy behind me laughed out loud when it came out, more like scrambled eggs with extra ingredients, I opted for fried eggs that day. The set up for any meal in the Windjammer was excellent, many stations available, some serving different items some serving the same, keeps lines down. The outside of windjammer in the rear is a great place to find a seat if the weather is good.

The Solarium is always crowded but Kevin at the bar was a great bartender, worth visiting again and again. We ate in the dining room for dinner 3 times, as we bought the package for all 3 specialty dinners. All of those were exceptional, especially, Giovanni's. Our waiter in the main dining room, Carlos, was very attentive and the food was very average cruise food, a real let down. Our big problem in the service area was at the bars outside. The wait staff were never in a hurry, there was no sense of enjoying their job. They would stand around and chat with each other or disappear for long periods of time, leaving me to going to the bar myself. We usually find 1 or 2 guys that we tip well and they keep us in drinks, we never found even 1 we could count on, very disappointing. outdoor entertainment was non existent, piped in music and a band for 45 minutes in the afternoon and you really couldnt tell the difference. The Schooner bar has a good bartender and the piano man, Simon was excellent. The R bar was entertaining because it had the surliest bartender on board, Faroud, he was entertaining in that he had such a crappy attitude and was fully engaged with his clientele. I saw him lose a passengers on board card and tell the passenger to look around because it must have gotten dropped. Less

Read more Serenade of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Serenade of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Serenade of the Seas 9582

Our room, 9582 was very nice, our steward, Micheal, was exceptional. Pleasant and attentive without being intrusive.

Snorkeling

(3)

So we left on a beautiful catamaran, nice wind available and yet we motored everywhere we went. Very unpleasant diesel odor abounded. We went to the "marine park" within sight of the cruise terminal, sparsely coraled, I did see a moray eel and a scorpion fish, a first for me.

We stayed at the peir as we have had dealings with Jamaican excursions before, all undesirable. The new port is very nice, clean and free from being hassled every 5 feet by someone wanting to sell you something. The shops were all nice and service was attentive without feeling like they were hovering and always pushing their wares. What we could see of town looked pleasant enough and I probably should have given Falmouth a try.

Read 486 Falmouth Reviews

Our excursion was cancelled due to weather. We also had to tender from the ship to shore in Spatts Bay. We had to buy our own transportation to George Town to do anything. I and several other passengers from several different ships thought the cruise lines should have provided the transportation to and from the port we had paid to see. I like George Town, lots to do and see, but the transportation set up left us with a bad taste.