Carnival Pride Cruise Review by Trvlr37: Enjoyable Pride Cruise Despite Cold Weather

Trvlr37
Member Since 2001
2,397 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Pride Bahamas Cruises

Enjoyable Pride Cruise Despite Cold Weather

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Baltimore

We had a wonderful cruise on the Pride. Embarkation was delayed, but we arrived at the pier after 1:00 p.m. and were on board and in our stateroom within one hour and we did not pay for the FTTF.

We have taken several cruises and this cruise departing from Baltimore was quite different. First, flying into Baltimore and staying overnight the night before our cruise was a breeze. Everything was pleasant and easy. We stayed at the Embassy Suites Baltimore airport and thoroughly enjoyed the cocktail hours, free transportation for dinner, kind staff, breakfast, etc. I would recommend this hotel and stay there again, although breakfast quality was not up to what we have had at other Embassy Suites, the staff made it pleasant and enjoyable.

The ship itself is a little worn and dark, but we still found it beautiful in areas. The food was some of the best we have encountered on a cruise. We especially loved the pizza and ice cream served 24 hours.

This was our first More cold-weather cruise. They had an enclosed pool on the lido deck that people seemed to enjoy, but I wore a sweater every day and was too cold to want to go into a pool. Weather improved a bit as we moved toward the Bahamas, but a cold-front had moved into the South as well making our warmest day in the low 70's.

Despite the weather being cold, people on board were the most friendly we have ever encountered! We had a fantastic, fun time on the ship and very much enjoyed our service, food, and entertainment. We met lots of people and this cruise will long be remembered as one of our friendliest cruises . We plan to sail out of Baltimore again some time due to the ease of it. However, I think I will pick a warmer month than January! Less

Read more Carnival Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Pride Balcony Upper 5110

Our cabin was located on Deck 5 far in the front of the ship. I did not pick this cabin myself and was a bit disappointed with the location. I personally do not like bow cabins. Our cabin was extremely cold on the first and last sea days where we slept in our robes with extra blankets. Thankfully, as we sailed further south, our cabin did warm up, but I have never experienced such cold on a cruiseship. Our balcony and room were large and comfortable with nice amenities, but we experienced high winds and some choppy seas and felt quite a bit of motion in this location. Also, the balcony had rust on it and the balcony chairs need to be replaced (were ripping). Our cabin steward did a wonderful job cleaning and providing towel animals, extra blankets, carpeting was like new, sofa looked a bit worn, though, but bedding was nice, etc.

We had the best weather of the cruise for our day in Freeport. We really enjoyed this port and I would love to go back there again. There was a large local market as you disembarked the ship with lots of local things to see. We walked a ways to a restaurant nearby that feeds sharks and got to see some sharks in the water and had a drink there. The restaurant was nearly deserted, but the views/scenery were beautiful. There was also a small patch of beach there, but I wouldn't swim with all the sharks nearby! It was a lovely day, though, and we surely enjoyed the sunshine. Our ship was only in port until 2:00 p.m., so we didn't have enough time there to explore much further. Next time we go to Freeport, we will take a cab into town, but even the port area was a good way to spend a few hours.

Read 779 Freeport Reviews

We walked off the ship and found a cab driver who took us on a nice tour of Nassau for only $25 per person. We got to see some things we had never seen in Nassau before (a fort and a neat staircase built out of rock) and he then took us to Atlantis and dropped us off at Junkanoo beach that I had read about on the boards. Junkanoo beach was nothing special except a small strip of beach by the ship. It was very windy the day we were in Nassau, but I don't think I would visit Junkanoo beach myself again even on a good weather day. It wasn't the beautiful Bahamian beach I thought it would be. The view from the beach was nice, though, but too small and a bit dirty for my tastes. There were lots of bars nearby, though.

Read 2645 Nassau Reviews

We have been to Port Canaveral before and it is a embarkation/disembarkation port. However, as a port of call, it was a quite lacking. There is nothing nearby to see or do where the ship docks. You either have to take a shore tour or cab to do anything from here. We have already done Disney and the theme parks as well as the Space Center. Still, we decided to take a cab into Cocoa Beach. They only had one cab company providing service and they herded us with others from the ship to central locations for a set fee. I wanted to visit the Cocoa Beach pier and they dropped us off across the street from Ron Jon's. We had already been to Cocoa Beach/Ron Jon's on other trips - as we walked further we discovered the pier was still quite a distance from our cab dropoff. The weather looked like it might rain at any minute, therefore, we just walked to the beach and walked around Ron Jon's (it was cold, but people were still swimming) and just walked back to our cab pickup point. I was disappointed we didn't get to the Cocoa Beach Pier, but we will do that again on another trip when we don't have to walk it ourselves. It was a $24 cab ride, but we really didn't get to see anything other than a crowded beach with others from our cruiseship (where they seemed to herd everyone) and a bunch of shops. I think it might have been better had we rented a car that day.