Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by Shelbyscout: Perfect for a quick getaway

Shelbyscout
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Inspiration Mexican Riviera Cruises

Perfect for a quick getaway

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Two of my girlfriends and I decided to take a 3-night Baja cruise as a girls getaway, leaving the kids at home with the hubbies. What a fantastic trip! We picked Carnival because of the price, but I felt that the cruise was worth much more than we paid for. We will definitely do this again. The ship was in great condition. A few dents and bumps from normal wear, given how frequently they turn over passengers. Our stateroom was very clean and larger than I expected it to be. Since there were 3 of us, our room had two twin bed in an L shape and one that pulled down from the ceiling. I volunteered to sleep on top and found the bed to be very comfortable. Nice and firm, but not like sleeping on a rock. The linens are really soft and cozy. The bathroom was serviceable. The floor was a bit inelegant, reminding me more of a budget hotel or even a hostel than an expensive cruise, but that was fine given what we paid. I did deduct a star because on our last night, the drain in the bathroom More backed up and we had the most awful sewer smell--we opened the stateroom door to try to air it out and could hear people in the hallway commenting on how bad it was. To Carnival's credit, maintenance showed up within 10 minutes of our call (this was past midnight) and snaked the drain, then automatically called housekeeping to sanitize the floor. No problems after that. The food was just okay. Plentiful, but nothing to write home about. Service in the main dining room was fantastic and our server didn't bat an eye when I ordered 3 appetizers as my meal. We did Your Time dining and that worked perfectly. We liked our server so much we requested him each night. The only wait we had was waiting for one of his tables, otherwise we would have been seated immediately. We did a lot onboard activities from trivia to karaoke, and the pianist in the piano bar was very talented and a lot of fun. We never ran out of things to do--in fact, we decided that next year we'll do a 4 night to get to the things we missed this time around. Our service was impeccable. Our fellow cruisers were definitely there for the "fun" but aside from a couple of disruptive people, we had no problems striking up conversations and enjoying the company. I've sailed on two more luxurious lines, but this cruise really hit the spot for a quick and affordable getaway. Less

Read more Carnival Inspiration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Inspiration Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Inspiration 193

We found this cabin very clean and well-maintained. The bed layout is two twins in an L shape and one that pulls down from the ceiling. Perfect for the 3 of us, and bigger than I expected. The window was very large and really made the room feel bigger. Bathroom is cramped with one small shelf above the sink, bring a hanging toiletry bag. We had a drain backup that was easily fixed. There was some traffic noise being so close to the elevator, but nothing that woke us up at night, and the elevator access was very convenient.

We loved Ensenada but it's important to go in with reasonable expectations. Ensenada is a lot of cheap shopping and taquerias with one winery that wasn't open for tasting. We had a local massage that was worth every penny. If you're looking for an authentic Mexican experience, this isn't the place for you, but for a fun stroll around town and some cheap souvenirs, it's a nice little section of town.

Read 244 Ensenada Reviews