Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by KcCruiser67

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by KcCruiser67
Carnival Sunshine
Carnival Sunshine
Member Name: KcCruiser67
Cruise Date: January 2014
Embarkation: New Orleans
Cabin Number: 8300/8304
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
Dangerous Situation

Ok, here is my full review. Please excuse any misspells as I am writing on the fly. My son is disabled and had a room across from us with his friend. Our waiter Jovan and his support staff were VERY good to us. Through many times where he would have to leave to help other waiters because they were understaffed, it was all still good. There seemed to be inconsistencies in our dining times as far as when the foods would get to us. Sometimes it was fast. Other times, it seemed to take along time between courses. The food seemed ok. I don't think it was as excellent as some of the other ships, but still ok. Our room steward was Carlos. No complaints there. I brought some soda and he always made sure I had a full bucket of ice and keep our room very clean. I did notice quite a lot of times a sewage type odor. It would come and go at various places. I did notice a lot of things needing repairs. Maybe it is from my naval background, but a lot of cracked open service doors which contained a lot of piping electrical duct etc. that should always be closed and locked. I saw some corners of metal ceiling panels hanging down for the entire cruise. Most of the staff I encountered seemed to have a smile and took the time to say hello and ask how we were doing. We had booked the stingray city our and it was cancelled due to the weather. My son used his crutches to take the tender over instead of his wheelchair because we knew it wouldn't be able to go on the stingray city boat and he shouldn't have to do a lot of walking. AFTER we were on shore we were informed that the Stingray tour had cancelled and our only other option was to do the beach day for 20.00 more per person which totaled 80.00 more. At that point I felt I had no choice because we didn't have his chair and there was no way he could walk around very long. So we took the beach tour and later that evening when we returned I went to the service desk and spoke to a woman about it. I told here basically the same thing and told her, "I know it's not your fault the weather was bad, but it also wasn't our fault. I am not asking you to cover the whole 80.00 but could you maybe cover half. We can split the loss." She got very rude and said she would forward it to the excursion desk but that they don't do that. It is all at our own risk. The next morning the excursion desk called and said they would be happy to split it with me and that they thought that it would be very fair. With all the above being said that would not stop me from going on this ship again. Hiccups happen. People have bad days from time to time. It is all part of life and you have to accept that. BUT.............................

*********PLEASE READ THIS PART CAREFULLY!!!*********************

This is the reason I won't probably go back on the sunshine.

As I said my son is disabled. He was in a room for persons with disabilities. The shower is specially designed with no step into it There is a channel for the water to drain into that is shaped like an L. The long part of the L goes along the shower and the short part of the L goes in front of the bathroom door. They are covered with metal grates so that there is an even surface. On Wednesday night my son was sitting on the bench showering and the channels overflowed with water sending a ton of water flooding out the door and into the cabin. His friend was off getting a soda so he turned the water off and was trying to get out and get a robe on to come get me. He has spina bifida and has no feeling from the waist down. One of the metal grates came up and he got 2 bad lacerations on his right foot. This is extremely hazardous for people like him because of the problems with healing in the lower extremities, much like persons with diabetes. He didn't realize it so as he rushed over and came into our room to get help we noticed his foot was bleeding very badly. We sopped up the water and went to medical and got gauze and med-tape Both rooms had large blood stains. The medical office had no peroxide. The head maintenance person came and explained what happened. He told me that when they built these cabins, the drain in the L channel should have ben on the long side of the L closest to the shower. They put it at the very end of the short side of the L. So all the water backs up and overwhelms the drain with too much water. He said they have the same problem with this cabin and others almost every week and that he thinks they should dry dock the ship again to fix a lot of major problems like this. This is such a HUGE problem for me. They know that there is a problem with these cabins for persons with disabilities and yet say nothing putting people like my son at risk for injuries. Had they told me before hand, hey this might be an issue, I could have made sure to be monitoring his shower when he used it. Now we have to watch his foot very closely to make sure it heals ok.

very disappointed .......................

Publication Date: 02/06/14
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review