Ruby Princess Cruise Review by jingelbells

Ruby Princess
Ruby Princess
Member Name: jingelbells
Cruise Date: January 2014
See More About: Ruby Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Goldilocks Trying To Find Her Just Right

I am going to start with the PROS:

Room:

We were upgraded to an aft balcony cabin. Thanks Princess! The balcony was huge! The room was a decent size and clean. The water pressure and temperature in the shower was great. Plenty of open closet space. Bed was comfy to me. There were enough current movies to watch on TV too.

Steward: Renato was nice and came by and introduced himself and told us how to reach him if we needed anything. We aren't complainers and are easy going so we never had to ask him for anything. However, he noticed we needed some wine glasses for the wine we brought onboard (you are allowed one per passenger) and he brought them to the room while we were out exploring the ship.

Ship: Very nice ship, very clean. I saw staff picking up dropped items, trash and cleaning regularly.Decor wasn't cheesy at all. This ship is large but it was fairly easy to move around the boat if you take the stairs.

Staff: Everyone was super friendly and helpful. The wait staff were attentive and came around regularly to see if you needed any drinks. Any time I passed by staff they smiled and said hello. The wait staff were funny and were able to crack jokes with us. They definitely go above and beyond to make sure you are happy.

Food: The pizza was good, but not as great as most people have mentioned in reviews. But this is a personal taster. The burgers were fine. Didn't try the hot dogs. Try the fettucine Alfredo in the MDR. It was the best I ever had. I ate it twice because the other items weren't as appealing to me. Food comes out fast.

Crown Grill: It was worth every penny. I was stuffed because the food was so delicious! Try the applewood smoke salt with your choice of steak. It was awesome! I highly recommend going there at least one night onboard.

International Cafe: Nice cafe to order coffee and get a light snack.

Wheelhouse Bar: The fish and chips were good and so were the fries and mashed peas that came with it. Food came out fast.

Entertainment: The comedian was hilarious and the magician was amazing! I felt bad for both performers because the crowd was lukewarm. I mean, seriously the elderly crowd barely clapped at all and the performers did their best to excite them and participate. I hope this doesn't reflect on the performers.

MUTS was fun. Do it at least once. They come around with popcorn, milk and cookies. The poolside bartending competition was fun and the sexy legs contest was funny.

Cons:

Food: The food wasn't as varied or tasty as I have experienced on other lines, but I am thinking they are catering to an elderly crowd and that is why the food is...meh. In the MDR, nothing amazed me except the fettucine. To get an omelette or waffles for breakfast doesn't make sense. You had to order from an attendant at the corner of the egg station and he writes it on a slip of paper and hands it to the kitchen staff. No sign that you can order omelettes either you just have to figure it out. I just happened to see someone get one and learned the process. There is not an omelette station where you order directly from the cook like on other cruises. They use canned spinach too. Not ideal. The waffle station was not in the buffet it was at another grill by the pool. Random. Not thrilled with the layout of the buffet either. Too cramped and too hot.

Entertainment: The trivia isn't really inclusive for all ages. Lots of references to things that only the elderly would know. There was bingo, but no shuffleboard. I was surprised that a ship that caters to mostly elderly people didn't have shuffleboard. Lol. The Ultimate Deck Party was ok. This wasn't Princess' fault again. I see the effort, but most people just sat there watching the few people do the robotic line dances. You had to practically beg people to dance and clap for the band.

Bar: I wish that there were some drink specials like other cruise lines that offers 2 for 1 or lower prices on drinks of the day. The prices were reasonable. They do offer a raffle to pay your bar tab. We didn't get a card until our last night and there was no way we would drink 5 drinks by 3pm the next day for just a chance to win. I also didn't feel that my drinks were ever that strong, but they were made well.

Nightlife: It was basically dead at night. I have been on other lines that have much more activity at night. Even if the nightclubs weren't busy on the other lines, the bars were bustling. This cruise was basically lights out after midnight. Went to Skywalkers twice during the cruise and was always back in the room by 12:30. Found it weird that we didn't hear more Top 40 hits either. Played the same line dance and typical latin songs. Another passenger placed a bet with me that we would hear the Cha Cha slide in the next 15 minutes when we entered the club. I said 30. I won. Lol.

Overall,

This ship caters to an older demographic for sure. I am in my mid 30s, so I wouldn't recommend this cruise for any middle age couples, young couples, people with kids, girl or guy trips under the age of 60. Princess is a very nice line. I enjoyed myself regardless and made my own entertainment...lol. It just wasn't for me and my boyfriend. Every day on this cruise, we witnessed some passenger complaining about really nonsense things and we felt bad for the staff, so we would try to joke with the staff after having to put up with somebody being so rude and at times, ethnocentric. So kudos to Princess for having to put up with all the ornery folks with a sense of entitlement. To future cruisers, remember that you are on vacation and probably retired... RELAX!

I knew when booking, that Princess would be a quieter ship and I was looking for serenity, but this was too quiet. I have cruised Holland America (I prefer them over Princess, albeit it can be quite older too), Carnival (too rowdy... I am not 20 something anymore) and Norwegian (so far I think they might be for me) before Princess and I am just figuring out where a 30 something like me would fit in. I still have to try RC and Celebrity. I would only cruise Princess again just because I got the Fare Credit for this particular cruise, but I don't think I will seek out a new cruise after that until I join AARP.

Publication Date: 02/06/14