Independence Cruise Review by RandyM22: Small Ship --- Big Fun, but needs a little work.
Overall Member Rating
Small Ship --- Big Fun, but needs a little work.
First off let me say that I really like this cruise line. So much so, that we are taking them in Alaska this summer. The crew was very friendly and helpful. The food service and staff were excellent. The other passengers were quite friendly and engaging. The entertainment, with one glaring exception was very good. The lectures and information about our ports was exceptional and the shore excursions were very good. The cocktail hour every afternoon is a great way to mix and mingle and get to know the other passengers.
If you are on this Cruise Critic site to help in the selection of your next cruise, let me give you some idea of what to expect and not to expect from American Cruise Lines….
- If you want a cruise with 4000 of your best friends, assigned dinner tables and times, food from a cement mixer, half hour waits to get on or off the ship, an iPhone App to save you from getting lost on the ship, a $500 bar bill for a seven day cruise, being nickel and More dimed to death for everything other than your room and meals, American Cruise Lines is not for you.
- If you want to cruise in the lap of luxury with a spacious suite cabin, a mini bar and fridge in your cabin, 24 hour coffee bar with a barista, a fancy bar and lounge with a uniformed bartender, over priced and spotty wifi, over priced and poorly presented shore excursions, and young adults frolicking in the surf, then American may not be for you either.
- What you do get on ACL is a compact, efficient ship with great food and a very helpful and friendly crew. We cruised from Charleston to Jackson on a New Years holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. We have cruised Royal Caribbean, Avalon, Seabourn, and a small motor sailer in Greece. AMC is one of our favorites. We have already booked another cruise with American.
- Since this is supposed to be a critique, let me address a few things to the ACL home office that might improve the overall ACL experience.
Never use the band we had on New Years Eve and New Years again. They were so bad that there were requests to have them put off the ship on Sapelo Island.
Get new uniforms for the hotel staff. Whatever that is they are wearing in no way reflects their high level of professionalism.
Get “plug-in” clocks for the night stands. The battery operated LCD clocks are hard to see in the daytime and impossible at night.
Get bigger TV in the staterooms. Considering the average age of your guests, I am not sure anyone could see those 15” mini screens.
Get better coffee in the lounge. I heard several passengers say they were going to Starbucks when they got off the ship.
- I never expected ACL to be Seabourn, but for heavens sake, fire your interior designer. OMG! Valences over the windows! With the exception of the dining room, the rest of the furniture, especially in the lounge looks like an assisted living center. Your passengers might not be spry but your decor should be a little more spry and up to date. Less
Read more Independence cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence Review >>
Cabin review: AAL217
The rooms were clean, comfortable, and the beds were very nice. There was more storage space than we needed for unpacking. The bedroom and the bath were spacious and functional.The cabin decor however needs work and lots of it. The decor made the stateroom look Grandma's guest room. OMG! Valences on the windows?? Just because your guest may be past their prime there is no reason your decor should be.