Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by kicker

Liberty of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Member Name: kicker
Cruise Date: January 2014
See More About: Liberty of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+

VISITING AN OLD FRIEND

We (self 60, DW 57) last sailed on Liberty in 2008. I'm happy to say that she still looks as beautiful and well-kept as she did 5 1/2 years ago.

We had a Promenade Inside Cabin (6283). I always wanted to try a Promenade room. The last time we sailed Liberty we had a standard inside; I believe a standard inside has a bit more storage space than a Promenade cabin. This was a five day cruise for two adults. There was certainly enough storage room for two (especially with suitcases fitting under the beds, but it was less storage than we're used to on Royal ships (we've done insides. OV's, balconies).

Food: Our last cruise 4 months earlier was on Disney Wonder. For all you hear about Disney food, we both found the Windjammer Buffet to be superior in both choices and quality over the Disney buffet area. I personally enjoyed the Royal dinners more than Disney, but that's a very objective matter. I've read complaints about cold food on Royal: we never had a meal anywhere that wasn't served hot. The Dining Room on Royal is a great lunch choice on sea days; they have a superb salad bar as well as several daily choices. We didn't do specialty restaurants or Johnny Rockets ($4.95 cover charge, but we cruised when JR was free and saw lots of wasted food, so I find the price justified). The Promenade area had pizza, sandwiches, desserts all day.

Entertainment. In 12 cruises we felt this 5 day cruise presented the best variety of entertainment we've experienced. The first day show featured the outstanding Ship's Band and a comedian. Day Two was a Motown group (Spectrum) well known in Las Vegas. Day Three: In the Air, a Cirque d Soleil type show. Day Four: Physical Comedy by Heath Hyche - hilarious, i love people who act crazy. Day Five: Saturday Night Fever. Add in the Ice Shows, Trivia, a great and humorous piano player (David Curtis), and the variety offered was truly great.

Our cruise was also enhanced by participating in the Meet & Mingle thread on Cruise Critic for our cruise. While 5 day cruises don't have formal M&M's, we did have an informal one (we missed it), and we also had a Cabin Crawl (great opportunity to see many cabin types) and a Slot Pull. We didn't win, but at least we got half our money back. I would strongly advise future cruisers (especially "newbies" to either cruising or Cruise Critic, to post on the Meet & Mingle thread for your cruises; you'll learn a lot and get to know some fellow cruisers beforehand.

Embarkation started at 12:30PM; cabins ready by 1:30PM. Our luggage actually made it to our cabin by 3PM, earliest ever! Disembarkation was slow but smooth (we carried our own luggage off); our only problem came after clearing customs - there was a long taxi line and we ended up missing an Amtrak connection. My fault, not Royal's; I planned a tight schedule.

What else can I add? We did My Time Dining (2nd time we tried it). It worked well; we had a table in one area the first night, afterwards the same table every night with Silbourn for a waiter, Denise as assistant. They were up to Royal's usual high standards, as was our Room Steward Barrington. We're not soda drinkers (or big alcohol drinkers for that matter). The few mixed drinks we had were reasonably priced; no worse than most bars, cheaper than a ballpark. If I had one complaint (and this is very minor): we drink mostly Iced Tea which was available only in the Windjammer (available also in the DR during Dining times). The Windjammer is open most hours of the day and evening; Coffee, Tea, Ice Water available 24 hours a day in the Promenade.

We generally cruise once or twice a year, and in recent years we've Done Royal, Disney, Princess, and Celebrity. All of our cruises have been enjoyable, but Royal is still our favorite.

Publication Date: 02/06/14