Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by dikin: A Lovely cruise but food was awful !

dikin
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Canary Islands Cruises

A Lovely cruise but food was awful !

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Barcelona

We travelled on the Spirit for Christmas, there were lovely Christmas trees and decorations all over the ship, although not an awful lot was made of Christmas apart from the lovely carol service on christmas eve.

We had a suite for three and it was beautiful, our bedroom was decorated lovely, the bathroom was huge, our daughter's room was the sitting room, every evening the sofa was made into a bed. We had a butler, who was very attentive as was our cabin steward. The down side was we were aft facing and my word the noise in the cabin was awful, we could hear the engines running and because of the rocky sea everything creaked and squeaked. I bearly slept for the whole 9 nights.

We have cruised twice on the NCL Epic and yes you can tell the difference, the spirit was a lovely ship and exceptionally well decorated and clean but was let down by the food. Appalling really, the service in Windows and The Garden was so slow, our first meal in Windows resembled road kill, More it should have been chicken but which part of the chicken i'm not sure. Our last meal in Windows I wouldn't have fed to my dog. My husband had lamb shank or rubber tyre! I went with the pesto pasta, I think it had been made several hours earlier than it was served. The buffet was hit and miss, very annoying at breakfast, they actually were taking food away and setting up for lunch at 10.30am often there was no bread, you had to go to a waiter who served toast and ask for ever how many slices you wanted, this was often cold and stale. The epic was soooo much better than the spirit.

The entertintment was hit and miss mostly miss. The Galaxy fo the Stars was a huge room full of table and chairs and very very old fashioned I couldn't stand it in there although the singers in there were better than the one's in Champagne Charlies they were just rubbish, although this was a really nice area to sit and have a drink, if you were lucky enough to get a seat.

The stafff were great, so happy and helpful especially the lovely wishey washey lady at Raffles who sings and just makes you smile.

Casablanca, what a pit why on earth NCL chose this as a stop off I will never know, it is horrible, my daughter would not even get off the shuttle bus.

Maderia was just lovely, what a lovely place to vist. Malaga dn Lanzarote are also lovely.

My daughter joined the teens and met some lovely people and made friends, which she is still in touch with, she stayed out with them most nights until the curfew at 1.00 we felt that she was safe at all times on the ship although we did meet her every night in the atrium to walk her back to the cabin. She says it it is the best holiday she has ever had, this is a really good set up NCL have with the teens.

All in all we did enjoy this cruise, the food was a huge let down, which was ashame as eating out is a huge part of your holiday I would go on this ship again but it is not a patch on the Epic. We love NCL and have booked again for the Jade summer 2014. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Spirit 9212

A lovely huge suite beautifully decorated, but it does creak and squeak on rocky seas and the engines can be heard. Bathroom was lovely with Elemis products. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. If you can get past the noises it is well worth paying the extra for this suite.