“The Good and the Bad”

Member Since 2011
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

This is the first time in 20+ years that my wife and I travelled with Carnival. We have done Costa, MSC, Princess and Holland America in the past 8 yrs. We tend to prefer the island getaways for a week and once in a while take a cruise. This is a nice ship, clean, lots of activities, a separate adult area, the loud area and the quiet area for your days at sea or after your island days. Food was good, not great, but I did gain weight. The Lido deck area has so much to offer for eating such as Rosies buffet, fish and chip area with sushi which was quite good, a burrito bar(good), a deli area for some fresh made sandwiches, a monogolian wok area(long lineups 15 25 minutes wait), hamburgers and hotdog bar(good burgers) and a pizza bar(YUCK!). Morning breakfasts in the dining room was a little disappointing, it was kind of a simple menu, I have seen better. Nightime menu was good, food was okay, again I have seen better. We spent the 35.00 per person at Scarlett Steakhouse and at that price, I do not recommend. Too pricey for what you get. My steak was ok, nothing special like they boast it to be and my wife's Lobster tail actually smelled a little to much of charcoal. But the worst part is I got sick later on that night from the food. Good thing my my body flushed it out during the night.

Nightime entertainment is where Carnival does a good job such as comedians, different bars and even the disco packs the people in better then other cruise lines. The port stops on this ship is amazing and that's why we chose Carnival this time(Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia,, St Kitts, St Martin). Embarkation and disembarkation was pretty good as well for a 2900 passenger ship. The workers are FANTASTIC!. Polite, hard working, always smiling. One of the best that we have seen. I don't understand why waiters are wearing shorts in the sun and the poor cleaning crew wear long pants in the sun. So yes I was pleased with Carnival, but not sure I would use them again and here is why.

Carnival attracts a low level of clientel. I am not trying to be a snob, but I never saw so many ill dressed people on a cruise and especially at the dining room. Shorts, sandals, flip flops, tee shirts when the nightly news letter says not to wear this. Formal night was a joke, sneakers, shorts, jeans, flannel plad shirt, I thought the guy left his John Deere tractor outside...lol....or the guys in bathing suits with no shirt in the Lido buffet area when it say no shirt, no service. While I'm 54 yrs. young, have travelled a lot and have seen all inclusive resorts stick to their guns on the dress code, Carnival failed miserably here. Obviously, they are desperate to take anyone's money and afraid to lose this income of money. How sad. If you are going to be a lax, casual cruise line, then be honest about it or enforce the dress code. I know that I don't want to wear a tux or a suit every night, but a decent shirt and long pants with some sandals at least, am I asking too much?

Carnival Valor Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

7423
Beautiful room, clean, plenty of closet space, mini fridge, clean. Our cabin steward (Putu) was great.

Island tour

Leopold is funny, informative, educated, honest, a truly nice man. 20 bucks per person for a 3.5 hour tour that was amazing. Leos tours and taxi, email: christopherom@yahoo.com

Snorkeling

At 65 bucks, great bargain, great Excursion, great day. Mud bath, waterfalls, mountains, beach, food, drinks

Port

Went shopping, looking around, lovely nice island. Would like to spend a week there to do more, see more. Been to Magens Bay, been there, done it.

Read 3,413 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 02/06/14
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Valor Review
Carnival Valor Cruises to the Southern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?