Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by lauramcob@sbcglobal.net: 3rd Fun Cruise Aboard the Triumph!

lauramcob@sbcglobal.net
Member Since 2014

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Eastern Caribbean Cruises

3rd Fun Cruise Aboard the Triumph!

Sail Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Galveston

I just read some of the most recent reviews and am sorry those travelers had poor experiences but having just gotten off the ship today, I can attest that my party didn't have any issues at all with our cruise. The ship smelled of bleach -- not sewer. It was clean, well lit and looked great! The staff were friendly and attentive, although a couple of nights the meal service was a tad slow in the London Dining Room, but the food was still delicious.

Jen the cruise director is just fabulous. She has so much energy and loves to be out and about with the guests. Her assistants Gumby and Keelie were equally fun and all three appeared to really enjoy their roles aboard the ship.

Comedian Chas Elstner was back and still very entertaining. Also aboard was John Wesley Austin who was funny but didn't have as much material. He presented essentially the exact same show on nights 1 and 2, and then he ended all 3 of his shows with the same song. Again, he's funny, but it's not More always as funny to hear the same jokes repeated just hours later.

My group's new favorite hang out was the Apothecary Bar managed by the charming and charismatic Master Mixer Milas. Milas is one of those talented people who remembers names, faces and exactly which beverage you enjoyed most recently or many hours ago. His new bar is popular among the staff and is frequently hopping with activity, yet Milas handles the deluge of custom drink orders with a big smile on his face and sometimes will even sneak in a little juggling hat trick from his sleeve just to see if anyone is paying attention. His menu of drink concoctions are amazing, fresh and absolutely delicious. They cost just a little bit more than the usual mixed drinks served at the other bars but are so, so, so worth it. And if you're lucky, your drink may very well include a little flambe presentation.

Our room was promptly tidied by the cabin crew. One bonus of the ship's latest makeover is that the shower pressure & drainage have improved. The downside is the mattress for the bunk is very hard. I'm a side sleeper and my hips are sore after tossing around for 4 uncomfortable nights. My roommates who slept on the king bed had no complaints and slept quite well.

The best new dining experience is the Guy Fieri's Burger Joint. Delicious & fast! Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Lido 9265

Island Tour

Our tour guide, Margarita, was lovely, entertaining and very knowledgeable. She proudly presented the Mayan ruins at the San Gervais historical site, which was also adorned with many distracting iguanas. As the bus drove through the city and countryside, Margarita tutored us on the island history and current cultures and how the old and the new have blended into the society that is existing today. We also made a very quick 20-minute stop to a beach. Of course, we would have loved more beach time but since we weren't expecting the side tour, it was a nice bonus.