Explorer of the Seas 3

“Aging ship, but convenient departures from NJ”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas

eh270
Member Since 2009
18 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Our cruise was the one just before the one making all the headlines for the Norovirus outbreak. Two of the days at sea were a little on the rough side.

Crew: The overwhelming majority of the crew members were happy and attentive, with a few edge case exceptions.

Facilities: Despite a renovation in 2009, the ship is showing its age. The giant tube TV in our tiny interior stateroom is a perfect example of this.

Ship: On past cruises, I've felt borderline harassment at times by the sanitizer-brigade, running up to me and squeezing lotion into my hands, but I know it's for the best. On this cruise, however, this was not the case. Upon ending the buffet and MDR, there were automatic sanitizer dispensers available but nobody really insisting that they get used, and I saw many people walk by without using it. Shockingly, there weren't even sanitizer dispensers *available* on the embarkation deck just after re-boarding the ship in ports of call. Maybe not so More shocking that the cruise after ours had to return to port early.

Food: I ate one night in the Portofino restaurant and it was definitely worth the money. Food in the MDR was generally very good. Less

Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Overall Ratings

Sail Date: January 2014
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Family & Children
Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

D19231
Tiny interior cabin, but what else is new? This room has two fold-down cots. As of January 2014, it also has an old tube-tv instead of a flat panel, which will only make your room feel smaller.

Published 02/06/14

Helpful? Thank eh270
Read Cruise Critic's Explorer of the Seas Review

Explorer of the Seas Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?