Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by Lilye66: Very enjoyable first time cruise

Lilye66
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Voyager of the Seas South Pacific Cruises

Very enjoyable first time cruise

Sail Date: January 2014
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

A booking made 6 weeks prior for school holiday period, so had limited options for cruising with 2 kids. Chose 2 side by side balcony rooms & were glad that we could enjoy some 'private' outdoor space. We commenced check in/boarding prior to allocated time & was on the ship reasonably quickly. We were happy that our request to change dining time from initially allocated had been made on receipt of sea card. Rooms were available at advertised time. In hindsight we would have skipped dinner in the MDR for Windjammer on the first night, to watch the departure out of Syd.

The ship was large enough to accommodate the large number of people. Other then lining up for things like ice skating sessions & BBQ lunch round the pool, you rarely had to wait anywhere. We had no problems getting seats by the pool. Our twin 6yos loved the kids club & went most days for one sometimes 2 sessions.

We found most staff very happy & helpful. In the MDR, they were very More attentive & amused the kids. We ate mainly in Windjammer & I enjoyed the theme night food (esp Greek & Indian). I wish these were published somewhere prior to entering the cafe. Unfortunately my husband got food poisoning (suspect MDR or Johnny rockets) which disrupted the first port visit. The expresso coffee you pay for is still substandard & inconsistent. Windjammer opened most nights at 6.30, which made it a rush, if they wanted to go to the kids club (7-10pm) & you wanted to see the early show (7pm).

The nightly acts that we saw were excellent & wished I had gotten a program for the whole cruise, so I could plan the ones suitable for the kids to attend. Some activities were unavailable a few times eg inline skating (wet track), ice skating (high demand)

Ports

* Lautoka - dock side operator bus trip to Denarau ( beach at Sheraton) for swimming - pictures showed 'whiteish' beach, but unless you go to an island, there is not much white sand on mainland Fiji - was as wanted, a place to swim for the kids off ship & on return my girls hair was braided at dockside. Was looking to hire a taxi to go to Denarau, but as husband was sick, was as easy option. Could pay in $AUS if wanted.

* Suva - just wandered round town for some shopping & a decent coffee. Many trips available dockside, but hubby not up to long outing.

* Noumea - took a 1hr city tour & hop on bus from cruise terminal.($AUS50 for 2 adults & 2 kids) Aquarium was fun for the kids & then some snorkelling at Anse Vata beach. Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas 9938 & 9940

As a light sleeper, was surprised by a reasonable amount of soundproofing. Next time I would take my own pillow as room ones are feather. Being on starboard side, you would get the occasional smoke fumes if on balcony (designated side for smoking areas now)